Hive behavior weird all of a sudden - I made it much worse

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by beekeeperbrownie, Sep 16, 2013.

1. beekeeperbrownie

beekeeperbrownie New Member

I have about ten hives here at home that range from small-weak to three fairly strong. I moved one of my stronger hives (a split I did this spring) a couple of days ago to a new location here on my farm. It had been in a pen of super tall weeds and is now out in the open. It has a deep and a medium chocked full of bees and quite crowded, as well as lots of stores. All was well until late afternoon and there were tons of bees in the air and they were super revved up. They seemed to be circling in the air and coming out of the front of the hive. It sort of looked like they were attempting to swarm. I suited up and pulled a couple of frames and bees were just head down eating from the cells. I have seen no queen cells and have eggs and larvae. I assumed robbing with all the activity, but observed no fighting, carrying off of bees etc. The only thing I saw was unusual head down eating on the frames. Then I did the unthinkable, I lifted up the hive to peer underneath the screened bottom and dumped the medium upside down on the ground. Needless to say we went to defcon 1 at that point, the dogs, horse, anything that moved here was getting stung. After a sequestration in the house, I went out before dark and there is still a quite strong "revved up" agitation coming from the hive. I find it weird that the weaker hives around here aren't getting robbed when this one is? It seems that they would be quite able to defend themselves. I am not feeding it and have an entrance reducer on it. What the heck is going on?

2. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

How far did you move them from the original location? Let's start there.

​...JP

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Dumping a hive body upside down????? Well I never.........wait a minute.........I take that back! :oops:

4. beekeeperbrownie

beekeeperbrownie New Member

I moved them about 400 feet. I closed them in after dark and moved early the next morning. a few hours later I plopped a chicory weed up on the landing board to make them reorient and let them go. That was a few days prior.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    It had been in a pen of super tall weeds and is now out in the open.

tecumseh..
    you have now given the hive a fine view and everything that was hidden from them now looks strange and alarming. every thing that moves gets them wound up and clanging the alarm bell. in this situation a screen bottom board may actually make things worse.

6. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Could be nothing to worry about at all. May just be a fresh batch of orientation or cleansing flights around the entrance. All the bees head down in the cells does not necessarily mean robbing. Could very well be working just as they should be now. You posted no fighting and a very strong hive.
    I would think that they settle down after the move and unfortunate dumping.

7. Ray

Ray Member

Empty bees leaving the hive, just take off from the landing board
    Robbers (full of honey), climb the side of the hive (to gain the extra height) for takeoff.

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

toby i don't think this hive is being robbed, some key things you said, you moved the hive a couple days ago, you said this is a stronger hive, in a deep and medium "chocked full of bees and quite crowded." you said no queen cells were seen, and that you have eggs and larvae present. " tons of bees in the air and they were super revved up. They seemed to be circling in the air and coming out of the front of the hive. It sort of looked like they were attempting to swarm." " there is still a quite strong "revved up" agitation coming from the hive". (your bees are not happy). i think your hive might be attempting to abscond? lot's or reasons for absconding, but some key things you said, moving them, crowded, and lots of bees coming out the front of the hive, circling, and gorging themselves on honey, and super revved up agitation.

or as tecumseh said ~"you have now given the hive a fine view and everything that was hidden from them now looks strange and alarming. every thing that moves gets them wound up and clanging the alarm bell."
    so bees reorienting to their new environment.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I wish the beekeeper would come move my hive. Then come visit in a couple days so I could thanks them. Said no bee ever. :thumbsup: Im going to say this time of the year they are going to be wound up for a few days after a move. Bees are notourious for getting a little testy this time of the year without being moved.