Hive bodies vs. supers

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by arkiebee, Apr 11, 2010.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Last year I ended up with a queen laying in the super, so now the super has become a "home" and not a "garage" In fact I have a hive body & 2 med supers as a place to raise brood . So how do I get these supers off and put on another regular size hive body? or am I stuck this way? I did reverse everything a couple of weeks ago and I have the hive body sitting on top of the two supers. This was a split I did last year and put a Carnolian queen in there and she is a doozey - these bees really put out the honey & brood last year. So I will be splitting them, & I think I am going to let the split raise a queen.

I would just like to get it to two hive bodies if I can manage it?

Thanks for your input!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Find her and put her in the hive body. Put an excluder between it and the supers. In 3 weeks, the supers will be supers. You can add a hive body under the supers and excluder under the normal rules. IE: If they need the space, add a box. It can be now or later, depending on when they need the space.

3. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

OK Iddee - right now I have the two supers on the bottom and the hive body on top. So when I can get back in there which will probably be Saturday, I need to make sure my queen is in the hive body - put it back on the bottom, and I can go ahead and add a hive body on top of that/queen excluder/ then supers? because I know she will need the room - this is a pretty large hive. Will the bees leave that much distance between them & the queen and keep the brood warm? All the hive bodies I have now are new and just have new foundation -

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

In warm weather, yes. To be on the safe side, put queen and deep on top the excluder and supers, new deep on top. Then in 3 weeks, put the two supers on top. They should have a lot of the new deep drawn and the brood will be gone from the supers.