hive building plans in the works

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Mar 2, 2012.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

In the following weeks I will be drawing up plans for hives and other wooden ware. We have the telescoping cover completed and on the home page to the forum. Im working the inner cover now and should have it on in the next few days. Going to work on down until we get to the bottom board. I plan on doing plans for langs 10 and 8 frame. 5 frame nuc, migratory covers, screened and solid bottom boards, slatted racks, as well as a triangular bee escape fume boards. then we will get into some of the non traditional hives. and may expand into other equipment like hive moving tools etc. We want to make this the go to place to get plans. All input and suggestions of what you would like to see plans for gladly accepted.

2. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

How about a vented inner cover?

3. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Sweet! I just built ten deeps today. It is almost not even worth it to do it yourself but I enjoy it. Last weekend I built four nucs.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I will add that to the list. Once we get a complete 10 frame lang modeled and on line we can add the bells and whistles. May even do a snellgrove board etc. First I got to get off this new format long enough to work on the cad work. Im like a kid at christmas

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

afterburn001, I know what you mean about not worth it, went to Home depot to price some lumber and figure it cheaper to buy the comerical grade boxes instead of building them. The lumber they had was no bettter and asked where the #2 grade lumber was and they said that was it, I said I have been in the building trade for 40 years and I sure knew what #2 grade was. All our good lumber is going overseas to Japan and Alf. and other places and we are being sold the crap. To much to do around here than build anyway.

Kebee

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

A lot of the same thing goes on up here, # 1 goes overseas and we get to pick over what's left.

7. ski

ski New Member

How about plans for a cloake board.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Same here on cost of lumber and not being worth the time, however, there are some that live near saw mills or have access to cheap used lumber. Then others that enjoy they challenge of building there own. Cloake board I will add that to the list of to do's. Keep the iddee'as (pun intended) rolling in.

9. PeeVee

PeeVee New Member

The inner covers I build include a hole in two oposite corners to accomodate mason jars for feeding. It probably is cheaper to buy boxes,etc. but I have the tools/shop and enjoy woodworking. Probably spending the same ammount of time that others might spend enjoying sports on TV.

10. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

I am a General Contractor and buy all my lumber from a small, local lumber store. I have a deal with the owner that when he gets a fresh batch of #3 pine, he calls me. I can go down there and pick through the new stuff. That way I can pick out the best stuff comparable to #1 and #2. I pay .98 cents per foot for 1x12. I rip the 1x12 down to 9-5/8 and then use the rim for bottom boards.

11. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Afterburn, that's exactly what I do except I get mine from a local Amish Lumber Company. Way cheaper than the big name stores and a lot better lumber. Medium boxes for $3.25 and deeps for $6.50 when I buy 1x12 and 1x8 pine. I'm done buying boxes when I can make them that cheap.