Hive construction question

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ibeelearning, Feb 28, 2015.

1. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Uh-oh! This is one of those 10 beekeepers / 11 answers questions.

I was taught, in theory, the side with the larger gap should create bee space for the top frames and reduce the building of bur comb and propolis. But, as with all theology, you can hear very wise, good and gifted beekeepers tell you just the opposite. In practice, I have found little difference. Some manufacturers produce covers the same on both sides. Some beekeepers flip according to seasons, activity, robbing, bones and tea leaves.

However, what I do pay big attention to is the "noch" on the rim of the inner cover. I am currently obsessed with ventilation in the winter, having recently frozen some bees. My notches are now down to vent out moisture. (During the summer, I have lids propped or wine cork holes open, and entrances unrestricted to vent.)

My hutch is, the direction of your inner cover will be the least of your excitement this first year.

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

My hives are not Langstroths. My hives have bottom bee space with the top of the frames level with the top edge of the box. I use rim down inner covers which allow the bees to move over the top bar from frame to frame.

If I use smooth side down the bees will glue the top bars to the inner cover and also there is more risk of squashing bees when replacing the inner cover.

Hope this helps.

3. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Let me preface this by saying I'm probably not going to help. The proper beekeeper answer to your question is , "Yes"
    Like ibeelearning said, you'll get 11 answers from 10 beekeepers
    I wouldn't think that smooth or rough wood down or up would matter. As for the shim spacing. I'd do notch up in the winter and down in the summer.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I vote with Papakeith.

5. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Efmesch,

WELCOME BACK! Oh, and for the thread, what Papakeith said. I'm guilty of this: I try to inject more "exactness" than is required. The bees are pretty good at taking care of things. Have fun.

Walt