Hive fell over

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by towner35, Jul 5, 2011.

1. towner35

towner35 New Member

Had a hive fall over off the stand and hit the ground. It was only exposed for less than 24 hrs. I took the stand and pounded it into the ground to secure it and stood the two supers, queen excluder and the honey supers (2) back on with the cover as best as I could. Boy were they mad when I lifted up the supers. I did manage to lift the two supers as one unit trying not to pull the colony apart. Has any one had this happen to them? How did you make out? Anything else I should try to do? Thanks

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Yes,(4 years ago) i had a storm blow over my two survivor hives that i had by there selves (side by side) both had two deeps and four med. supers on them. I couldn't figure out which deep or which super went were. It took five tries to get them back together, each try i was covered from head to toe with mad bees :roll: (i had a full beesuite on) I found out real quick that when your beesuite gets wet they can sting through it with ease, don't know how many hits i took, but it took the fun out of beekeeping that day. I guess i got them back together right, because they are as strong as ever to this day. After your bees settle down (say a week) i would go in and see if you see signs that your queen is alright. Jack

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is about all you can do, stack them back up and check in a week or so for the queen or at least signs of the queen (eggs), if no eggs look for queen cells.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what G3 said. most time if you catch this sort of thing early enough little damage is done.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I agree, most times they recover without too much trouble. I had 3 hives kicked over a few years back, 2 were fine, with the third one having the brood chambers split so far apart, one of them had started an emergency cell so I took the opportunity to split it. Last year (same yard) I had some kids throw big rocks against the side of one hive, actually swivelling the top brood chamber 45 degrees from the one below it. I guess the queen was in a bad spot on that one because it was immediately queenless.
    For the most part, hives are tough, like G3 says, check in a week.
    Good luck.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

on most all occasions here when a hive is overturned by wind or animal it also turns out the bottom box is almost totally empty. the upside in this is the empty box needed to be attended to anyway.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The down side is, i get to much attention when i try to help out. :lol: Jack

8. milapostol

milapostol New Member

We had the box that we enticing a swarm to move into fall over, but we got to it within hours. They seemed to still like the box, but we were concerned about the queen. We checked about 8 days later and saw some beautiful larvae! (Yes, don't you think they are nice looking especially if you are worried about the queen?) So, just as long as queenie is there and the girls are happy with the box, no harm done.

PerryBee, where are your hives that kids were throwing rocks? A woman who used to own a beekeeping shop in San Francisco told me that people LIKED to push over the hives in Golden Gate Park. Strange!

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Funny enough, one of my yards is right next to a school! :shock:
    They are on a farm next to the school and the farmer allows the school to use his woods roads for cross country runs and gym classes.
    The kid who threw the roacks last year actually got caught by the gym teacher (who along with another brave school employee actually straightened up the brood boxes). I was called into the school to meet the kid etc. but nothing really came of it. :roll: