Hive # Five a success. Picture.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

This was no swarm a couple weeks old. It was a massive hive. We filled 6 frames of brood and honey. We set the nuke box on top of the electrical box and are going to go pick it up tomorrow evening. We found the queen and know for sure that she is in the nuke box. There were a massive amount of bees flying and still in the electrical panel, so we hope that they will go in the nuke box tomorrow. Good idea or bad?

What a fun cut out this was.

I have a question, there were a lot of HUGE drones in this hive, mean anything? Seemed almost as big as Bumble Bees.

Also saw a capped queen cell and I think it made it in the Nuke box. Now wondering if we should have cut it out and not put it in the box. Any thoughts on that as well.

2012-06-03_17-18-26_863.jpg 2012-06-03_17-18-26_863.jpg 2012-06-03_17-18-26_863.jpg

20120603_184011.jpg 20120603_184011.jpg

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Looks like you could have had hives five and six, if you'd put that capped queen in another box with part of the brood. Still might not be a bad idea when you pick it up.
    Great pics!

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nice find! I bet that was a surprise for a technician to discover. Was the juice turned off for ya?

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Wow, didn't know you could do that but I have another Nuke box and 5 frames. So I could acually take he frame with the Queen cell on it and put it in the other box (just make sure the Queen is not on that frame). And some of the bees.

Thats a great idea.

This farmer thinks it got opened by a theif that was going to steel the copper out of it. Been happening around here he said. I bet he stained his pants when he opened this box:lol:

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Well, I probably would have stained mine doing this cut-out! :lol: Me and electrical wires have had several unpleasant introductions (maybe why the beard looks like it does) :shock: :lol:

6. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Oh No, this box was not powered up yet. I did make sure of that.

I would love to have seen those thugs trying to steal the copper when they opened that door. Makes me chuckle just thinking about it.

What about splitting this hive up by putting that frame with the queen cell in a seperate box with some bees.
    Would this work out OK? Just asking because of being new.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, it will work. Give the queen less bees and reserves than the cell. She will be laying much sooner. Feed both.

8. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ok, Got the new hive (cut out) home and was able spend a little time on it. There were no bees in the electrical box and a buch more bees in the nuke box.The queen cell I saw yesterday was capped BUT it had a hole in the side of it and nothing was in it. So I left them all together. Man what a bunch of bee's. They have already attached the cut comb to the frames. I left the rubberbands for now. I think these are going to be some go getters.

We have 5 full deep frames of capped brood and some capped honey. I squeezed in one frame of wax foundation and this box is full. Guess I better get to building a full size 10 frame deep box in quick order. They are crowded.

Put a quart jar of suger water on top of nuke tonight for them.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Yankee, don't you think you would have made the whole process simpler if you had started with a full sized hive and not a nuc?Sometimes I get the feeling that beeks automatically collect swarms in nucs without considering any other option. Sure, the nuc is smaller and easier to handle, but if not all the bees of the swarm/cut out will fit inside, the options all lead to a full sized hive sooner, rather than later. :confused:

10. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Absolutely,
    but with this being our 5th hive in 2 months I am tapped out on woodware and a nuke box was all I had. This
    farmer was wanting these bees gone so he start up his water pump. I guess it's a good problem to have.

We will have to say to the next one. I think we have a good start though.