Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went into the hives yesterday and again I was surprised by what I found. The apparently strong med/med/med hive had almost no brood, but a million bees. Last week, because they were crowded, I had added the 3rd med, just in case. I put a quart of 1:1 syrup on them even though they seemed to be foraging, but just in case because here in NW Hillsborough we've been in a dearth.

They took the whole week to finish off the quart, so I thought everyone was hunky dory and I could stop feeding. To my surprise, in a week, the 3rd medium had few bees and the foundation had not been worked. When I went into the 2nd med, I saw one frame of combo larva/capped brood and some nectar around that. They were drawing the foundation. Overall, it seemed as expected-- queen would have moved up from bottom med because I assumed it would be full. But the bottom box was almost empty of brood/larva! and there was an empty queen cup.

I have no idea what's going on. Maybe the queen went bad? How can you have lots of bees, that are not really hungry, and minimal brood/larva (I can never see eggs, so don't know).

It was the other hive I was worried about, the deep/deep, but it had increased bees and activity after I started feeding furiously. The top deep was not really drawn, but it seemed like they might be getting ready to work it. When I went into the bottom deep, I found 4 healthy happy frames of either capped brood or larva with lots of honey/nectar. Two frames of old honey (that I might have to scratch to get them to use it) and drawn comb and two frames of undrawn foundation on the outsides. This hive seems normal to me. It's the other's behavior that is now worrying me.

I fed both hives 1:1 syrup with lemongrass/spearmint/lemon oil. I put a boardman on the 2deep and a jar on the top feeder and they are both half gone in 18 hours. Looks also like the 3med hive is sending over foragers to the deep/deep to try to scavenge what they can. Actually, I'd like to get rid of the 2nd deep, but don't seem to know how to do it without wasting the work the bees have done there. I was hoping to split the med/med because it was so robust, but it's not anymore. Anyone know where I can buy bulk sugar in Tampa?

I welcome all comments/suggestions/lore. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
sams club, 25lb for $10 last time I bought it, where abouts are you in tampa? I was just in town and county at 1 of my trap outs today, I plan on being up there again on the 4th or 5th of August.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts