Hive Inspections

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by rail, Jun 26, 2011.

1. rail

rail New Member

How often should one inspect a newly installed 3# package; once a week, once every two weeks, once in three weeks, etc.?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

We don't really get packages up here, nucs mostly.
    I guess my answer would depend on how long you have been keeping bees. If you just started, I would poke my head around every couple of weeks. I know a lot of folks say that you shouldn't disturb them very much but when you first start I think the benefit of the knowledge you will gain by observing outweighs the disturbance caused to the hive.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I agree with that Perry. No better way to learn than by doing, after a while you will learn to read the landing board pretty good. The ground in the front of my hives has old rubber roofing on it, mainly to keep the weeds down, but I can see what they are throwing out the front door also.

4. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

It's all I can do to refrain from checking mine every few days :lol: But I have learned a lot this year (my first) from checking every ten days or so.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

look as often as you need to when your learning. Once you have satisfied your curiosity you will fall into a routine of knowing when something is amiss