Hive is indifferent to new queen

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, May 22, 2011.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

A friend of mine--a newbee--had a queenless hive, she requeened, but the bees are ignoring her! I've heard of a colony gathering to care for her or gathering to kill her, but never to ignore her! Any ideas what this means? If my friend releases the queen and she starts laying, will the colony then take her on as their new queen? Why are they ignoring her?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

im betting on a virgin queen somewhere in the hive that did not get properly mated

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ditto, RR. A virgin queen either in the hive or in the introductory cage.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

that sounds like a very good diagnosis to me also.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i believe I would pull a couple frames of bees look them over real good to make sure there is no queen on them make a nuc up with new queen and see if they will accept her.That may tell you fairly quick as to where the virgin may be. if the nuc accepts her then dig into the other hive and look for the virgin then do a newspaper combine

6. Tia

Tia New Member

Thanks, you all. I never heard of bees being indifferent to a queen--thought they always hated or loved her! Anyway, called my friend and read her your posts. She's very thankful and will be coming on the website to check us out.

7. carver37

carver37 New Member

Hi - I'm the friend of Tia's - the newbee with the indifferent bees. After talking to Tia regarding opinions re. virgin queen in the hive, I went in to take a look. Saw no virgin queens - but the bees were no longer indifferent. They were gently surrounding her cage and trying to help her out. I made it home too late today to see if she's been released, but will definitely do so tomorrow morning.

It's wonderful to find a place to ask experienced beekeepers for advice. I seem to come up with more and more questions about these wonderful little critters.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome to the forum. Hope to see you around often. Cant find more knowlegeable and nicer people in any other bee forum. I guess a question that got overlooked from the start was how long the queen had been in the hive caged. Some bees like are notorious for taking longer to accept a new queen

9. carver37

carver37 New Member

Thanks for the welcome! Queen was installed Thursday afternoon. This is the third queen for this poor colony. When I received the package (4/23), the queen cage was open - don't know if they killed her or she escaped. The bees just seemed to go into a hanging mode. A few tried to build comb, forage, etc., but most just hung there. So I re-queened, but she didn't perform well and the bees were still overly quiet. After two weeks, the second queen still wasn't laying properly. So I disposed of her and installed this one. Yesterday was the first time I saw interested bees. They've increased their intake of syrup a wee bit and a few more are flying. My fingers are crossed!

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Carver37 and welcome to the forum :wave:

Good luck with that new queen, hopefully she will turn things around for you.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

and HELLO from College Station, Texas.

beyond a virgin or an existing laying queen a fairly ripe queen cell can make the worker indifferent to a new queen.