Hive is packed, but was started late

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by randerin, Sep 5, 2012.

1. randerin

randerin New Member

I started a hive in July and it seems that it has exploded with activity and growth. It is currently two deeps with a top feeder. Lots of capped honey, a ton of new bees, and a very active queen. Now I am worried about crowding and whether the hive has the best chance of making it through the winter.

Is there any advantage to putting on a queen excluder and a super now to allow them more room for storage? If they consume what is in the super over the winter, I would remove the super before starting to feed them in the spring. Wouldn't that give them a headstart when I put the super back on next year with all the comb drawn already?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you put a super on, leave the excluder off. They will not go through it if there is no drawn comb in the super.

This late in the year, you will be extremely lucky if they draw any comb, even without the excluder.

3. randerin

randerin New Member

Thanks Iddee,

I suppose I am curious... Is there any down side to adding a super now, if I don't intend to harvest any comb or honey that is stored there?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Check it in Nov. If empty, remove it.

5. randerin

randerin New Member

I like that plan...

6. Omie

Omie New Member

Now that swarm season is long gone, your bee colony will adjust to their current space, and the queen will begin laying less anyway in the cool weather that is starting now. I wouldn't bother putting a super now- it'll just stress them to present them with empty spaces at this time of year...temps will dip down in the 40's at night. I very much doubt they will do anything in a new super now. You hive sounds strong and well prepared- leave them be, don't move their boxes or frames around much anymore, and they will be in good shape for winter!