Hive location advice

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by newbeek15, Apr 29, 2015.

1. newbeek15

newbeek15 New Member

Hi all. I am new to bee keeping again (its been about 35 years) and was wondering if I could get some opinions on hive location in a subdivision. The city has no regulations on bee keeping, but I don't want to be the one that causes them to create them....haha. I live on 1/5 of an acre with houses surrounding on all 4 sides. I was thinking of putting them in the back yard inside an 8 ft high fenced area (the smaller the square footage the better, so suggestions for the size required for 1-3 hives would be great). They will have more than ample forage with all the landscaping in the neighborhood. Thoughts and/or suggestions ??

2. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I'm interested as well. I live in a suburban area. I am getting mixed messages on whether to put the hive in shade or full sun. I have a privacy fence and just a few trees the line some of the fence line. Only one of the trees is actually in my yard and it's a smaller tropical tree ( I live in Brevard County Florida near the beach)

3. Ray

Ray Member

Both of these are difficult questions to answer. Beekeeping is a micro-climate endeavor. My advice is from my experience in Michigan.
    1) Bees prefer to gain altitude quickly and remain up there until they reach were the're going. They will fly around narrow obstructions and if the distance to forage isn't too great remain at a low altitude. They will come back in on a long glide path at low altitude. Having the hive entrance pointing at a building or solid wall from not too great a distance will help get the bees up and away from Humans and pets.
    2) Honey Bees hate lawn mowers and string trimmers.

Ask 10 Beekeepers a question, and you'll get 11 different answers.

4. camero7

camero7 Member

Beeps: you are in shb [small hive beetle] territory. I'd put them in the sun. It tends to help with keeping the shb in check.

5. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

What is shb? Thank you. I'm in Florida. Sun all the time? It gets very hot.

6. camero7

camero7 Member

see above... small hive bettle

7. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Oh thank you! Oops :)

8. paint504

paint504 Member

I'm from Florida also, I keep my hives in full sun to help combat the SHB. Because it gets very hot I do recommend using a screened bottom board, it helps cool the hives. Last year I used standard bottom boards and my bees would "beard" a lot.

9. msimmonds

msimmonds New Member

Just make sure your neighbors are cool with it before you install the hive.