Hive Location advice

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by newbeek15, Apr 29, 2015.

1. newbeek15

newbeek15 New Member

Hi all. I am new to bee keeping again (its been about 35 years) and was wondering if I could get some opinions on hive location in a subdivision. The city has no regulations on bee keeping, but I don't want to be the one that causes them to create them....haha. I live on 1/5 of an acre with houses surrounding on all 4 sides. I was thinking of putting them in the back yard inside an 8 ft high fenced area (the smaller the square footage the better, so suggestions for the size required for 1-3 hives would be great). They will have more than ample forage with all the landscaping in the neighborhood. Thoughts and/or suggestions ??

2. camero7

camero7 Member

Fence is a good idea. It will get the bees in the air immediately and their flight paths will be above people's heads. Be sure to give the entrance at least 3' from the fence so they don't have to work too hard leaving and landing.

3. dgrc

dgrc New Member

I'm new to beekeeping this year also and in a similar suburban setting. I ended up putting the hive next to a shed with 8' long x 6'high privacy fence panels. That gave me three walls blocking all views from the streets (corner lot). The fourth side is open but the neighbor's garage blocks the view. It's a bit shady so the ladies sleep in. Otherwise, it's out, up, and over the wall with none the wiser. My wife is the family diplomat, introducing the hive to the neighbors. So far, so good.

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

You could have a problem with the neighbours. Some folk are OK about bees and hives. The message will get around that you have bees. There are some folk who go into panic mode. Any bees or other flying insect that goes into their garden and it will be " your bees ". There could be complaints to you and the local authorities. Life could get stressful.