Hive location help

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by TheWoodsman, Oct 6, 2010.

1. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

What are the things to considar to when placing a hive. I've heard in the sun and facing south is that all? Thanks

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

nectar and pollen sources.......a bigger variety of plants will increase the availability year-round
    water source.........................pond, lake, stream, birdbath, swimming pool
    good air circulation.................avoid low areas
    good water drainage..............not in a potential flood area
    wind protection......................block out the cold winter winds, trees, hay bales, etc.
    easy access...........................it is nice to be able to drive up to the hives
    security.................................don't want someone to carry off your new hive, and yes it does happen

3. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Ok, i'm a little confused here... how much sun do you need to have on the hive, like how many hours a day? Thanks you for your help G3farms i will take these in cnsidaration, but how close do i place a bird bath to the hive?

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

generally you want to place the hive in some place where human and animal traffic is a minimum. place hive entrance where the sun comes in the front door when the sun rises. if you have very high mid day temperatures some shade but generally in this day of the small hive beetle not total shade.

5. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Ok, i have another spot in mind, but what about can you cut grass near them, or whats the mimimun distance they need to have from things. ( Can i walk by a 10 feet radius or does it need to be further than that?)

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can walk 2 feet to either side, 1 foot from the back, and 10 to 15 feet from the entrance. You will want to wear your veil to mow near them.

7. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

ok so 20 feet in any direction then would be fine, thanks, appreiate it

8. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

I like the first post by G3FARMS does anybody else have a list of things to consider for a hive?