Hive location question

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by TheWoodsman, Apr 23, 2011.

1. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

I have 2-3 possible spots, none of which I’m sure you'll like.

The first is close to my house and where I really want to put it. It is close enough to where I like it and is safe and far enough away from people and pet traffic too. The problem is that it is facing west and will get sun from 10-6. From this location it is 1/2 mile from 10+ fruit trees, a bird bath, and 2 gardens.

The second and third spots are in a hay field (mine) across the street from my house. Here they become 1 mile away from the gardens and trees but closer to a nice size pond. The thing is that this hay field is used so there are tractors on it 6 times a year. Not that much, but enough to where my hive would have to be put in the edge of the woods along the field. Also the trees are 30' high around the field so in these 2 spots they are either facing east and getting sun from 7:30 to 4:00 or getting partial sun all day (because it will face south and be in woods edge.

If you would like to know more about my area please let me know, I have also made a drawling up for you to visualize it. The red dots are possible hive locations...

http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad20 ... t=hive.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The first two years, at the house. Then you can decide if you want to move them. Why can't you face them east or south in that location?

3. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

the spot near my house i wanted to put along the woods not in the middle of my yard becuase of mowing grass. I guess i cuold put mulch down and make a garden type thing out of it? The other side is near my drivway and i thought that would disturbe them.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The vehicles won't bother them. You can also put up a barrier along the drive to force them above the vehicle height to prevent hitting them.

I still don't understand why you can't put them in the same spot, just spin them around to face south, east, or in between.

5. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

if i face them east along the woods they will be facing the woods at only 3 feet away?

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

How about south?

7. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

I dont know if you saw my link i posted but i have a woodline that runs south to north. When the sun rises, no matter where i face the hive it wont hit the hive until 10-ish. The trees along my woodline are 30' tal so the sun has to be around 10 o'clcok to peak over them. I figured west would best best becuase then at least sun hits the entrace eventaully.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you don't need to have direct sunlight blazing down on the entrance of the hive. as far as I know anywhere from southeasterly to southwesterly is ok.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The entrance needs to be protected from the northerly and westerly wind and cold. The sun on the entrance, as Tec says, is not a necessity.

10. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

So if my woods runs north to south how shuold i face my hive? I was going to face it west so they have easy acess out into my yard. I have trees on the other side of my yard too, so wind shuoldn't be a problem. If i face it east they are 3 feet away from the woods exiting the hive if i face it north they are facing the road and south they are facing my house. What would you do?

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would face it southeast,