Hive Loss Questions

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by TnVFRrider, Jan 12, 2013.

1. TnVFRrider

TnVFRrider New Member

I suspected that I had lost one of my two hives as I could not hear anything when I tapped on it over the last two months. It was finally warm enough to check them today. One hive was going strong. The other was completely dead. It was almost as if they had died suddenly. There was emerging brood, capped brood, plenty of honey and pollen. There were bees with their heads inside comb like they were getting pollen. You could see where they had been into the honey stores. I think they may have frozen to death. I didn't see the queen and just brushed them all the bees off of the frames and out onto the ground.

Here are the particulars of that hive:
    It was from a package. They were late (mid May) and we had an early spring so they had to struggle to build stores. But they seemed to have plenty of food and had done well over the summer.
    That hive has a screened bottom board and I noticed that the board I had put under it was hanging down at the front. I think this may have been the problem. The wind is generally from behind the hives (from the North) and has a house and fence with some kind of vines on it behind them to help block the wind. A couple of weeks ago we have a cold snap (20-30 deg) and the wind had changed directions and come from the South. The bottom board would have acted as a funnel to channel the wind into the hive.
    Since the hive is full of honey and pollen would it be safe to replace any empty frames in the remaining hive with full ones from the dead one?
    Any comments, suggestions, ideas, etc are welcome.

I guess the bright side is the next package I buy will have a ready made home.

2. ndm678

ndm678 Member

Do your hives have top entrances? Do you have anything to absorb moisture between your top and inner cover. In my region, moisture in the hive is the main reason for a hive dying out over the winter.

3. TnVFRrider

TnVFRrider New Member

No top entrance. What should I put in between the covers?

4. ndm678

ndm678 Member

I used newspaper and some and dry sugar, if they don't need the sugar, they can remove it in the spring. Candy boards can also absorb moisture.