Hive placement pics

Discussion in 'Bees' started by crazy8days, Jan 26, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

As a newbie waiting for my first year to begin. I a little worried that my yard is too small for my bees. Would really like to see any pics of beekeepers that have small yards. Thanks

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I think Omie has hers right next to her garden in her backyard. Probably takes up only a few square feet per hive.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Hi,
    My backyard isn't that small, but we do have neighbors all around and my beekeeping is 'probably' against zoning regulations, so I try to keep my maximum of 4 hives semi-hidden between my garden and a row of evergreens, in a rather small area you can see here:
    http://youtu.be/EVitsXFrSuo
    http://youtu.be/kVCcBQuXhwI

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Your yard is lot larger than mine!! MAYBE I'll take a picture of mine and see what people think. Looks nice!

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Here is where I'm thinking about placing my hives. In the far corner by fence. First pic is mid morning. Last is late afternoon. Can see my yard isn't big 70'X70'. Enough room??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think one hive on each side the raised bed, painted to match the building wall would fit right into the landscape.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I agree with Iddee, one on either side. :thumbsup:

9. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

That would look great!!! Looks like you put that flower bed there just for that purpose :thumbsup:

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

You've got plenty of room.
    I like Iddees idea of painting them to match the existing structure.
    Good looking yard.

11. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I have left over paint when I built the shed. Will use. Good idea. I like the idea placing on on each side of the shed but during the summer i am in the shed everyday. I want to put a fence next to them to get the flight path up higher and conceal from my neighbors. lol

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You will find that you can sit on the flower bed for hours without the bees even noticing you are there.Sometimes there are 4 or 5 of us sitting on my hives, just chatting. The only place they don't want you is directly in their flight path in front of the hive.

13. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

So placing the opening facing the yard is not a good idea?

14. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Should be no problem as long as you don't stand in their flight path for an extended period of time. You can sit next to the hive all day long with your nose inches from the bottom board as they long as the girls can come and go without interference.

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, just give them about 10 feet clearance when you walk in front of them. They will not attack, but may accidentally bump into you on their way in or out. If they get stuck in hair or clothing and can't get loose, they will sting. They won't purposely attack, tho, under normal circumstances.

There are a few exceptions, such as they are being aggravated by something, or the weather is stormy, ETC.

Overall, you will find they are very friendly and easy going. Not like yellow jackets or wasps.

16. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Was thinking because I am in the yard a lot after work and more on weekends I don't work maybe putting up a temp. fence in front benefit me and the bees. i'm out of site, out of flight.

This is a welding screen. [​IMG] maybe use a different color. I have one that is red. But, thought I read somewhere red was not a "good" color

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yep, ya need to be real careful around those mean, dangerous stinging insects. :D :D :D

[​IMG]

18. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

But we all know you are Superman :yahoo: . [​IMG]

Maybe I'm over thinking the "what if's"