Hive placement questions???

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by indypartridge, Feb 19, 2015.

1. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

You want to think about the flight path of the bees going in/out of the hive, i.e., place the hives so that if you're working in your garden, you're not in front of the hive entrance. if you can have foot traffic, your mill and garden behind your hives, that would be best. If not, I'd want about a 20 foot distance.

2. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

20' sounds right for any activity that would not throw anything into their flight path. Many of us sit a few feet away in a lawn chair and just quietly watch. But if you are mowing and blowing clippings, throwing up dust on the road, wafting smelly personal care products, etc., you might want to double or triple that.

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

best is to put the hives where people are not, and always remember bees hate lawn mowers, put something down under the hives to keep the grass down rather then mow right near them

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Ours face southeast and have some minor shade from a mesquite tree. They are very close to an asparagus bed and "seasonal" vegetable garden and about 20-30 feet away from our "regular" vegetable garden. They are not near regular foot traffic. However, if it's a "bad day" for working the bees, they have become so agitated that my wife has gotten stung while working in the regular vegetable garden. :lol: (I can laugh now.)

As for mowing...I wear a bee jacket and hood. Sometimes they don't seem to notice and other times I'm glad I have the jacket! :wink:

Walt

5. Do Bee Honey

Do Bee Honey New Member

I took the winter wraps off the hives and reversed the boxes, bees are really sucking down syrup. I had moved the hives to the south side our our garage for the winter and now wondering if it is better to keep them there or to move them out into the open?