Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New beekeep here:
It rained all day here in NJ and the sun just now finally came out.

I walked out to the hives and saw what I think was a larve on the entrance. It was white and about 3/8" long. Normal housekeeping?

I also saw a really fat bee sitting there with the workers. I tried to get a pic but it flew off before I could snap a photo. It wasn't just slightly bigger but maybe halfway between my honey bees and a bumblebee. Drone maybe? It's head was darker and big!

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well, almost normal housekeeping... normally they'll take dead larva all the way off the landing board.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
sign of good hygenic behavior by the bees

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I keep learning more and more and seeing new stuff. Today I learned that the bees have their own grave-yard lol. Every morning they remove the dead and dying. I watched one being carried out to see where they put it and noticed 7 or 8 other dead bees in the same spot.
You don't have to be dead to be carried to the graveyard....near death will get you a free ride there as well!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
thats good hygenic behavior for the bees to carry off there dead especially if they are sick. It may prevent what ever it is wrong with the bee to spread through the hive.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
snip..
Today I learned that the bees have their own grave-yard lol.

tecumseh:
the folks in charge of this task are called undertaker bees <serious business :roll:

If the hive in the picture is new I would most definitely have an entrance reducer in place until they filled the bottom box.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, I just saw a some dead brood two days ago on the landing board. The bees took them away the next time I came by.

I once saw an undertaker bee fly off with a dead bee. Pretty impressive strength!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts