Hive split

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ColinUK, May 2, 2019.

1. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Hi I have to split a hive which is near honey bound and crammed with bees. I have a nuc and several good frames of mixed brood. I'm hoping they will make a queen. I'm going to seal the nuc containing the nurse bees. However can anyone tell me how long to seal it for? They will have ventilation and plenty of syrup and honey
    Thanks Colin

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

are there eggs on those frames? no eggs no queen will be made. generally 4 or 5 days is enough if a queen cell is developing and there is brood to tend.

3. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes they had newly laid eggs. I'm going to check on Friday which is a week. It's just an experiment at present so I will see how it goes.

DBLBee likes this.
  4. Gypsi

So how did it go? It's pouring rain here, I won't be checking hives today

5. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Hi we are just having a few days of sun. I checked yesterday. There are 4 large cells but not called yet. We are on day 8. Just have to wait till next week
    Thanks

6. Gypsi

Hope it goes well

7. mark nic

mark nic New Member

got into my hives today got a split and a queen-less nuc to start raising queens in the first hive and at the rate that hive is growing I will get another split in a few weeks maybe more.
    the second hive sadly either I think I lost the queen as there is very little capped brood it could be that it swarmed at least that is my hope and that there is a new queen there i will look in a week '
    the interesting part is on both hives just ten days ago I put another deep and another honey super on both hives the first hive has already drawn comb on most of the boxes and the second was working hard on the comb until whatever happened happened I guess next week will tell the tell, lol

8. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Hi checked today and there is one sealed queen cell. Looks like the other 4 didn't make it so they destroyed them. Should hatch over the weekend. Visit again next week but put an extra frame of eggs and honey in just in case.
    The other hives are flowing. Both are into their second season now. They are crammed with honey semi capped and capped plenty of brood but few eggs. Can someone advise when to put the second super on? Don't want to risk swarm as the are highly productive. They will both readily use the supers. Also would fresh supers with undrawn frames go on top of in the middle? Also should I feel guilty squishing a few during inspection. I smoke the hives but a few get in the way! Thanks

9. Gypsi

I try to have comb for the flow, but undrawn frames I usually put on top. Glad you have honey. Hoping i have some.

10. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what the bees are on but the give is pouring honey from every non brood frame which unfortunately means the bees are protective and mean. When I go in I'm not sure to take the smoker or a shot gun lol
    Thanks

11. Gypsi

They are being robbed if honey is dripping. Close the front door down to one bee width or put a robbing screen on it, and don't open the hive for a few days, let them clean up

DBLBee likes this.
  12. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Thanks will give it a go. Looks like a queen hatched yesterday given all the excitement in the give area.

13. Gypsi

Be sure your opening is large enough for the queen to exit to mate, and return, in about 10 days widen if needed. I've had a returning queen stuck on the outside of a robbing screen before.

14. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Hi it's been a while but I'm glad to say that my split worked. They made a pretty fertile queen. That is the good news. The bad is that because of torrential rain and cold weather most of the stores have gone. Glad I decided not to take early honey. Hoping for a good second half of the season otherwise I will be buying store honey and putting it into my own jars for the family. Lol

DBLBee likes this.
  15. Gypsi

well early honey is a risk, that's for sure. Better to have living bees. Are there any late-blooming forage crops you can plant? I plant a range of things that bloom at different times.

16. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Hi we have a hugely fertile area which is hitting a natural dearth. However the build up was bad as a lot of foliage rotted on the branch but I'm optimistic that it will start again soon. Then it runs till November

17. Gypsi

Here's hoping for good weather and a nice fall harvest

18. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Hi
    I couldn't believe it. I checked my three hives all was going well though slightly short of stores so I topped these up. The hives had plenty of room. Then it happened. A swarm yesterday. Couldn't believe it but I suppose that's nature! Any tips to stop this happening.

19. Gypsi

I think you did everything right, you did a split, kept crowding down. I try to keep at least one bait hive in the apiary from mid-spring on to catch the occasional swarm. (not many good bee places around here, they usually take my offer)

20. DBLBee

DBLBee New Member

HaHaHa...thats like going fishing and then stopping at Store to buy some fish to take home for Family....lol