Hive Splits

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hog Wild, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Having two bee yards 45 miles apart, is it better to move splits from one location to the next versus just making splits in each yard? I have 6 hives that are great candidates, 2 in one yard and 4 in the other. :thumbsup:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A split is stressed enough with the simplest of procedures. I would not subject them to a 45 mile ride, too. Just leave the new queen or eggs on the original site and move the original queen part of the split a few feet.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you want one of the two hives to pick up the field bees (for strengthening or to help manage the hive with more brood) leave that hive facing the same direction as original and have the second turned around. The field bees leaving the "reversed" hive will come back to the hive on the original spot facing the original direction.

4. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Thanks guys! This is the first year that I am splitting so I wanna make sure I cover all the bases and hopefully do it right the first time. Read quite a bit on the process but did not have alot about logostics.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

any movement of bees as new nucs any distance primarily requires equipment that is VERY tight... other wise you will be loosing a few bees the entire distance traveled. so when you arrive at the unloading point that fully stocked box often times is totally empty of adult worker bees.

for most folks just startin' out Iddee's advice is well worth heading. another option is to have some dark cool shed where you can set one part of the split for 2 days of so and all closed up. after two days of so closed up in this manner they seem to reorient themselves anyway.