Hive stand question

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Mar 16, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Yesterday I set railroad ties out for new hive stands. I laid 2 rows parallel measuring 24 inches outside to outside. My SBB are 22" long. The ties will keep them roughly 8" off the ground but my concern is that the 24" spacing doesn't give the SBB enough room to " breathe" and mites and SHB can easily climb back up.

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Questions.... Questions

Are the ties parallel to the front of the hives ? How long are the ties ? How many hives on a pair of ties ? Do you work your hives from the back or side ?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I use them, and have for years. Of course, I use solid bottoms.

4. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Too many questions! lol. 2 rows of ties parallel to each other. Hives sit perpendicular on ties. My bottom boards are 22" deep. Ties are set at 24". I roughly have 4" in between the ties. So right now there is little "air space" under the hives. For the SBB to function correctly do I need to spread the ties out so there is more clearance underneath?

5. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I use SBBs with the slide out as a varroa control for most of the year. With your set-up I would get a build-up of debris on the top of the ties which could attract wax moth. I suspect that this may also apply to SHB.

To avoid varroa crawl back, a below mesh space of 1.5 to 2" is suggested. I think Perry posted 3" for SHB.

If your ties protrude beyond the hive sides, I would be concerned about trip hazard.

In my climate and if the ties are wooden, I would be concerned about the affect of damp wooden blocks on the bees and the hive woodware.

Some North American members have problems with skunks (and snakes). I am not sure if an 8" stand is high enough.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That 4" opening between the ties should be sufficient to allow grass and weeds to grow up through the SBB, through the brood chamber and super, and gather under the inner lid. That's what happened with mine. Rather than remove the ties, I went back to solid bottom boards.

7. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

my back was my main concern. So I made my hive stands 16" tall. I can always lower them if I need to.
    uploadfromtaptalk1347802779342.jpg

8. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Yeah me too. Mine are 14" off the ground.

9. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Weed Barrier

If you are concerned about weeds growing up through the SBB, then a barrier(such as a piece of old carpet) on the ground can reduce this growth.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

with screen bottom boards I would be asking about how volatile is cresote <ie does it make fumes and are they light or heavy as a vapor? my childhood experience seems to remind me that I could smell cresote ties.... if they do make fumes then the fumes COULD BE detrimental to honeybees.