hive stands

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by reidi_tim, Nov 17, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Awhile back the boss lady found a web site where they showed a lot of cool stuff you could build out of skids. She was wanting me to build a table for the camp site at the farm, but I thought a more practical use for a skid would be a hive stand. I used a 30" x 144" skid from work gave it a paint job, got hold of my dads partner in crime since he has a 20 hp tractor ( dad has a 90 hp but it is way to big to get in and around the hives ) and a post hole digger. Set 6 treated post that we also painted to get the skid top around 20" off the ground, the back of the skid is 1/4" higher then the front, is this enough or not enough ? My thinking was to place the hives so the front was even with the edge of the skid as to not have a step for the critters to get into the front door of the hive. I'm also going to put down some of that weed fabric under and around the hives the put mulch over that. As for placement of the the hives I'm wanting to have a hive at the end then a 20" open space followed by 2 hives side by side then another 20" open area. My thinking is that I will have an open space to set the boxes on when I'm doing my inspection and not have to take them and set them on the ground. Nothing is set in stone, 6 post in the ground with a skid sitting on them, suggestions, thoughts, or ideas on what to do, leave or change..
    hive stand 1.jpg hive stand 2.jpg hive stand 3.jpg hive stand 4.jpg hive stand 5.jpg hive stand 6.jpg

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Looks pretty good to me,20" is alittle high for me as it puts a third super nearly chest high but it may work out ok.The 1/4 " grade front to rear is good when it rains, are you level from end to end? if not its not a big problem unless you are a foundationless proponet. Jim

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

My only concern is how far away from the barbwire fence are the hives and what is kept on the other side of the fence? I only ask cause I had hives along a fence for years, the farm sold and the new owners switched to horses from the previous owners cows. Board horses, long necks, chewed on covers and hives knocked covers off some. the hives to close to the fence didn't winter well. If it is horses and the hives are a little close add fence post extensions and a few more strands of barbed wire.
    Cows like to get right up to the hives and like to rub against them knocking them over.
    Horses like to chew on them and then kick them once they get stung.
    Goats like to stand on top of them and tap dance.
    other than that they look good.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The price is right, and it looks good! :thumbsup: I've put weed fabric down in spots as well but don't cover it with mulch, opting for some rocks instead to hold it in place. Too big a temptation for bugs. With it exposed they have to crawl over the black fabric which most won't.

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I like to be able to work the hives from the sides but I guess if you are tall and have a long reach that setup will work for you. It is good to have the hives up out of the weeds and dampness but going more than two supers high on your hives would give me problems.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I built some stands 20in. high and long enough for three hives with a foot between them, but only put two hives on them (one on each end) gives me a place in between to set boxes when working them (helps my back). I'm 6ft. 1in. so i don't have much trouble with supers. These hive are in the woods and i don't have trouble with skunks after building these stands. Jack

7. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Very attractive,Tim. That looks like it would make a nice park bench too.

8. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Good call, and thanks :thumbsup: the other side of the fence is our winter pasture for the horses ( Belgians ) the reason I put them that close to the fence, was to give me a walk way in front of the hives and to get them into more sunlight. In picture #5 is where the hives where it's hard to see but the farthest hive received more sun then the other 2 and I had less of a problem with shb. I called dad and he is going to put a temporary fence up and next weekend I will put a more permanent fence up to ensure the ponies don't try to harass the bees:wink:

9. jim314

jim314 New Member

They look good Tim, nice job :thumbsup:

10. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Have been rethinking this, so weed fabric with what type of rock ? Pea gravel, 53's or does the size really matter? Also at what rate should I apply Diatomaceous earth and should I do it now or wait till spring?

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

The reach thing was an issue for me on the pallet stand I built last year, but I still have a couple of hives on it, mine isn't as tall as it should be. I like the 20 inch, especially if you have many skunks around. I like the paint job on your pallet - nice bright white. I was not impressed the day that big old gray rat hopped out of my pallet and took off as I approached. At least with the white paint, you might be able to see a rodent from a distance.

(something got him, I found his skull, and only his skull.)

12. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

It was in the mid 60's today which was great for finishing the hive stands. Framed around the bottom with treated 2x4's , put down the weed fabric , followed by a layer of pea gravel followed by a generous layer of lime ( guessing by the way the mule was weighed down I'm sure dad and I put over the 400 lb weight limit in it , and if over filling one time was not enough, dad thought we should be on the safe side and do it 2 times to ensure that we had enough) So we probably put close to 1000 lbs of material under the hives ( so yes I get my over kill honestly, but I dare a single weed, bug, or jackhammer break thru that after a little rain ) I have not a clue why the boss lady calls me Clark , Clark Griswald that is:rolling::rolling: Dad's partner in crime Keith ( good thing dad is in his 70's and Keith in his late 60's if those two had meet up at an earlier age I would be scared to think what they would try to do) brought over a metal skid and some treated 4x4's because he wanted to help. So Keith went and got his tractor and post hole auger and we went to town setting a platform up where our 5 frame nuc hangs out. Good neighbors are easy to find in the country:thumbsup:

[video=youtube;smPfzDFHlsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smPfzDFHlsI&feature=autoplay&list=ULJW_FWb _4SfE&playnext=3[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE2EvxyjC7s&feature=BFa&list=ULsmPfzDFHlsI

13. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

The Keith yard, we only took one load up to put under this stand ( not because there wasn't room to fill it up more, but sad to say with my back problems I was done, and the two old timers where ready for more)[video=youtube;TE2EvxyjC7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE2EvxyjC7s&feature=BFa&list=ULsmPfzDFHlsI[/video]

14. jim314

jim314 New Member

I agree with that, good job! :thumbsup: