Hive status 9/9/2012, and a few questions

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I went through every frame of my hot hive. Did not See a queen, virgin or not, but they do hide. The comb is being drawn, excellent honey (or sugarwater) stores, excellent pollen stores. But not one egg or young larva. Now, it has only been 8 days since I moved that hive. And it has only been 10 days since the italian queen (who had been laying and had eggs and larva) was beaten up and kicked out. I do have a low height entrance reducer on the hive, but they got the italian out under it, so a queen can come and go.

OK, questions. Connor says the queen can fly to mate 4 to 9 days after hatching. But he doesn't say how old she is when she throws the old queen out? Would that be the first act of a newly hatched monarch?

I had to move the hive. Could not wait, because I had to move the trailer it was on. Have I lost my queen? Up until I got into the southernmost 3 frames of the deep the bees were docile. Nice clean empty cells, nice pollen pack and a bit of honey stores on the perimeter of the brood frames, just waiting for her majesty. Only a few drone cells, and they are capped and look older. I accidentally tore one getting a frame out, it had purple eyes. A very few capped worker cells. No uncapped brood, no eggs.

If I have a queen and she has not mated yet, how long between mating and egg lay? (and obviously, since I gave them eggs, they can begin making another one - would that be an indicator that she didn't make it home?)

On the bright side, of the 32 drone brood on the bit of comb I cut off, there was only one varroa mite in one cell. Something is working.

Gypsi

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. Gypsi

Hot hive has a queen. Saw her today. Since I'm talking to myself here, should I delete this thread? Can I ?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

53 views says you aren't talking to yourself.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Every now and then I find a thread that for some reason I have missed. This is one of them. :confused:
    When queens do battle I'm pretty sure the winner doesn't bother with disposing of the old one, that would be left up to the "undertakers".
    After a queen mates it should only be a matter of a few days for the laying to commence.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I guess I missed this one also. But lets check you math. Old queen evicted about Sept 1 and then 19 days later the new queen is laying. It takes about 2 weeks + 2 days to get a queen from just emerged to laying so the cell in the hive was fairly near hatching when they kicked out the old queen.

6. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

It usually seems that the bigger the colony, the slower the new Q starts to lay.

When I am getting frustrated with a new Q that will not start to lay, I move the hive to a new stand a few yards away. The weakening of the colony gives the Q a kick.

Sometimes Q's are telepathic. When I think, "If there are no eggs next week, I will move the hive" ---- guess what happens. :roll:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

very interesting observation Barbarian.

8. Gypsi

Actually I hurried to moved the hive on 9/1 because I read in Connor's "sex essentials" that the virgin queen would be making several orientation flights before she flew to mate, and she could do that at 4 days (9/3 by my guesstimation). We we moved the hive, already painted with flames, and I hung a branch over it. I needed the trailer that was under its old location.

I checked for queen cells off of my added brood on 9/12, only saw 3 day old uncapped larva, swiped one of those beautiful polished frames of comb and gave it to the nuc I've got a swarm in.

Guessing she started to lay about 9/17? Only one frame had eggs of the 4 I went through, and those were no longer eggs. But when I saw her, and she crawled down off the frame I was holding and between a couple of frames, I put the hive back together and closed it up. did NOT want to roll her. They have polished every empty cell - the cells literally have a shine on them.

I miss a lot of posts - need to go help do a cutout in an hour or so, have so much to do on the property and business. I just don't want to bore anyone with my repetitive chatter over my one little hive..

On the bright side I now take better paper notes. Thank you all for reading and replying.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Since I'm talking to myself here, should I delete this thread?"

"53 views says you aren't talking to yourself."

"I miss a lot of posts - need to go help do a cutout in an hour or so, have so much to do on the property and business. I just don't want to bore anyone with my repetitive chatter over my one little hive.. "

keep talking gypsy, it's not repetitive chatter, and i missed this too, but i have been 'misfiring' on alot lately :roll:
    keep posting and keep us posted on your hive and the progress of your queen :grin:

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ps gypsi,

i need to 'live vicariously' through a beekeeper in texas without suiting up......:lol:

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I didn't miss this one---I read ti when it came on but didn't have a clue as to what to answer, so I left it. This time, I read it again and was ready to tell you to give up--and then I read further and came across your update "found her" post. Which just goes to show you---a hive always is ready to pull a fast one on you.
    Enjoy your new queen, treat her royally and I hope she returns the favor.
    BTW--the absence of varroa could well be due to the long period when you had no new brood in the hive, so they didn't have good laying grounds. The drones must have been out of coordination with the varroa's reproductive cycle and got away from their clutches.

12. Gypsi

Actually EF, the bee inspector came and we went through every hive BUT the hot hive. Found one Varroa mite in a powdered sugar roll, and one varroa mite on a drone from another hive. The hot hive was cordovan, but all of the brood I've added since I killed the queen on July 31st or so has been vsh.

Granted my cutout and the hot hive experienced brood break, but the main hives of vsh bees didn't. Except they cut back a bit in summer on their own. VSH is varroa sensitive hygenic, I love these bees...

I got the nuc from the morningglory hive swarm off the greenhouse roof today and into the apiary. I expect to find a laying queen in the morningglory hive soon, the vsh seem to requeen themselves before sending off a small swarm. Takes her a little while to get started. If not, well I caught the swarm in the nuc. and got a robber screen on it tonight when I brought it down.