hive swap

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by denise, Apr 22, 2013.

1. denise

denise New Member

hi just want some info, i have got a old hive with bees in and am looking to put them into a new hive that i have what i would like to know i how to do this without arming my bees any advice would be great as am only a newby to bee keeping
    thanks denise

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

They are always armed! The least disturbance will be to have the new hive in the same spot as the old. Make the change midday when most flying bees will be away foraging. Hopefully the new hive is the same type and you just have to move the frames to the new box. Set the new bottom and one hive body down next to the old in such a way that it can be slid over after the change. Most of the bees will be at the old hive instead of your assembly job. If you are two deeps, set the upper deep aside on a sheet of ply or an extra top etc. and cover it up also. Now take frame by frame from the lower box and place with same orientation in the new bottom box. It would be a time to scrape burr comb but that will greatly lengthen the upset but there is more chance of squishing bees as you shove frames together if you dont clean. Your call. When bottom frames are transferred, place upper box if any and transfer one frame at a time from it over into the new box. Make sure the queen is not on the sides of the old box when you shake the remaining bees into the new box. Slide the new hive over to the spot the old one was in. It would be nice if you could locate the queen as you move frames so you could be more careful of squishing her. It would be nice to have a helper! You may have bees following the scent of the old box so it can be left propped against the new box till they vacate it.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hi denise! nice talking with you in the chat box this am, happy to see you posting!
    do you have langs?
    you can do what frank said, or, place an outer cover,extra bottom board/plywood next to the original hive. ok, remove the outer cover, so top deep comes off, place it on the outer cover, or extra bottom board, bottom deep comes off, set it on top of the old top deep, so your old hive is now in reverse order next to the original location. clean off the bottom board, or exchange it with another. put your new bottom deep in place on the bottom board where the old hive sat, transfer the frames from your old bottom deep to the new one. set your new 2nd deep in place on top the 1st new deep. remove the old empty box you just transferred frames out of, make sure the queen isn't wandering around on the sides. once again transfer the frames from this old top deep to the new top deep. check the bottom board or plywood again, to make sure your queen isn't on it. use your smoker, the bees will be disoriented, but they'll settle down. hope i made sense? also, place the frames in the new boxes the exact order they were in in the old boxes.
    let us know how it goes! :grin:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Both Crofter and riverbee basicly gave the same advice. Just for the sake of argument I could invent some other suggestion---but that would lead you astray. Follow their advice and you won't arm your bees and you won't harm them either.
    Sucess guaranteed. :thumbsup:

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

well sort of ef, the way i do it requires no sliding over of the boxes, or covering boxes, the hive remains in the original location, this is also the way i move bees. denise i did a diagram for you, and frank, i am not an engineer.....so just had a little fun with an excel sheet......so no one laugh or poke fun......:lol:

exchanging hive bodies out0001.jpg

6. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Denise I did this very thing about two weeks ago. Pretty much just like riverbee's diagram suggests too! :D

The old boxes were just a bit too tight. Inspections were an exercise in excessive leveraging of frames to get them out.

I'm not sure the bees even noticed that I did anything.

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I like riverbees idea of setting the old hive boxes down in reverse order ready for frames to go back into the new box and bottom board. If a person knew exactly whether any reversing of boxes or rearranging of frames were warranted, it could change a bit how you did things. If you are going to have the hives apart for quite a while, cover cloths sure help keep the bees out of the air. I was impressed the first time I saw them really used.

8. denise

denise New Member

hi all thanks for your advice if weathers good tommorow will have a bash at it will keep you posted
    ask them on english forum and they reply as tho you are stupid not much help at all will stick with your lot get better response
    thaks a lot denise

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Denise,

Welcome to America! (well part of us are here - some, like me, are in the foreign country part called Texas)

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"hi all thanks for your advice if weathers good tommorow will have a bash at it will keep you posted
    ask them on english forum and they reply as tho you are stupid not much help at all will stick with your lot get better response
    thaks a lot denise
    "

hey denise, you are welcome, best wishes to you on the 'having a bash at it".......:lol:
    btw, you are not stupid.
    let us know how you did, helps others out too!

11. jb63

jb63 New Member

I like it to be 70* when I pull brood out.

12. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

jb63 ------ 70* is a nice temp to work a hive.

I think Barnsley has had only a few days above 60* this year. It has been a case of choose your day, decide what you need to do, do it quickly and then close up.

At least Denise has found a friendly forum. :smile:

13. denise

denise New Member

hi barbarian this this is a better forum than english one only asked one q last week and it made me feel like packing in felt hopeless but they had to start at begining they forget about that but i will get there

14. denise

denise New Member

hi gypsi thank for getting in touch hope to hear more from you as you know iam only a learner so will need some advice
    thanks denise

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

everyone starts beekeeping at some point and it should be expected that information and experience wise they are starting from ground zero. it is true a lot of folks (much like myself) have long forgotten what we didn't know way back then. It is my own hope that this forum (unlike some) will remain a kind and cordial mechanism to bringing along the folks that are just beginning. I myself can see nothing gained by making some new beekeeper feel inadequate and unprepared.... of corse many are but it really doesn't help their confidence if every second year beekeeper starts harping about what they don't know or what they are doing wrong (which generally means they ain't doing it like that particular second year beekeeper is doing it).

nice graphics riverbee... and you did that with excel? perhaps you need to give some of us a tutorial since at least I suspect a lot of folks are visual learners and that could be a handy mechanism for those kind of folks.

ps... oh yea... welcome to THE BEEKEEPING FOURM Denise

16. denise

denise New Member

hi tecumseh thanks for that made me feel a lot better everybody as to start somewhere but me i always jump in head first my hubby just shakes his head and plods along lol but he is realy intrested as well got him making me a stand now for my new hive got to keep him going lol
    denise

17. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

denise:

First things first, welcome to the forum. I sometimes browse other forums, but this is the best of the four or five forums to which I belong. The people here are friendly, resource folks that assist each other in a well mannered way. The other forums seem to be somewhat combative due to competitive ideas.

In my line of work, I use a lot of sub contractors. Many is the time that one of them told me this was their first job. I always smiled and said, "everyone has their first time." It's the same with beekeeping. We all had our first day. Good luck and thanks for sharing your presence with us.

18. jb63

jb63 New Member

Denise, do you have a digital camera?Pics are good.

19. denise

denise New Member

hi lazy shooter thanks for that we all have to start somewhere got a new hive and bees last night and i have just made a stand for it made a few mistakes but it looks good and its sturdy not bad for an old fogie lol

20. denise

denise New Member

hi jb63 i have a digital camera but i would not know how to post the pics no good at doing thing like that but will have a go am sure you will advice me
    thanks denise