Hive theft again

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by rast, Mar 5, 2011.

1. rast

rast New Member

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have 4 out yards and been lucky so far. :thumbsup: I painted the hives brown and green and have them in wooded areas where they blend in,so far so good. I give neighbors in those areas honey every year and if they see something that doesn't look right, they wright down lic. plate no. and call me.With the economy the way it is and people out of work,i look for theft to get worse. :roll: Jack

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

maybe I can get the boys to stop teasing me and Baby Beek for painting our hives "funny girly colors" now. It will never cease to amaze me what some people will steal!

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I just had a coffee with one of our local RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) in regards to one of my yards that is only a 1/4 mile from their depot.

I have six hives that are fairly well hidden (or so I thought) that are about 200' off a highway with an access road that my pickup can barely squeeze down (branches rubbing both sides of the truck). Twice now I have found fresh tracks in the snow driving right up to the rope that stops them (just short of my hives) and then someone got out and walked over to my hives. The last time, they had to drive over at least a 1 1/2- 2 foot snow bank on the edge of the highway to be able to drive the 200' to the rope. I could see by the tracks they had to make a couple of attempts to get to the rope.

This area is near where an old guy used to have 6 hives. I noticed he no longer had bees in the area so I called him to see if I could move some hives nearby. He said 5 of his 6 hives had died and only one was alive so he removed the deadouts and left the single. I asked him how it was doing and he said he wished he knew, the last time he was down to check on it , it was gone! :shock:

Anyways, I told our local Police and they said they will keep an eye on things, especially since they drive by it all the time. I told them anytime they see someone in there, especially after dark, to check it out.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the best security is nosy neighbors close by (a jar of honey seems to make them even nosier???) and like Mama Beek suggest boxes painted loud and funny 'girly men' colors. I also brand my boxes with a prominent mark (which is kind of the law although more designed so that the state bee inspector knows the ownership than for theft).