1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Has anyone made a hive tool? I have resources to make one. I was thinking about making one out of a narrow leaf spring. Cut to 8 inches. Grind both ends to a taper. One taper is sharp to scrape. The other taper just to thin it down. The natural curve in the spring would make a fulcrum of sorts to help pry frames out. I've made many wedges out of leaf springs. Tempered hard and the curve keeps it up in the air to be able to hit with hammer better. (not smacking the ground) I work with machinery and they are awesome! What do you think?

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Like everything else in beekeeping "if it works for you". Jim

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

No more than they cost i wouldn't go to the trouble, unless you like to do things like that and pass it on to others in the family as a keepsake. :thumbsup: Jack

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Sounds great! :thumbsup:
    1. Hows about a picture of your finished product?
    2. Can you make that handy hole that makes the commercial hive tools great for removing loose nails?
    There's nothing like a beekeeper for initiative!

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If you have the metal and the time.....................go for it! :thumbsup:
    Like efmesch says, a picture would be cool.

6. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

8 inches is a little short. i would make it 9 plus an inch for the bent leg.
    I make body tools out of old springs. I can pry the epoxy bonds apart in a Corvette without damaging the composite body panels.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have a bunch of old disc mower blades laying around and they work pretty good for the price.......free.