Hive Top Feeder and Ventilation

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Slowmodem, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

The one question I have is about the hive top feeder. I have the plastic type from Brushy Mountain that holds two gallons. The directions say that no inner cover is required, but a super will make a better seal. I have a 10-frame medium on top of the feeder to make a better seal, but I was worried about ventilation. So I put the inner cover with the slot forward then the telescoping top on that. I get a few bees in the top through the slot, and a few drowned. But I don't know if the ventilation is more important than keeping a few bees out of the top.

I would appreciate any thoughts, pros/cons, etc.

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

why not place the inner cover under the feeder slot forward, then outer cover on top then no bees drown

3. Omie

Omie New Member

I would think you would not want an outside entrance right there directly next to the syrup- it would attract hordes of robber bees. How about stapling a little piece of screen over that upper entrance, which would keep the ventilation but prevent robbers from trying to get into the syrup?

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I make a two compartment top feeder, one side for syrup(2 gal.) the other for pollen (or syrup). I tack a 3/8 shim to the bottom of the feeder, with a one inch slot in the front for a top entrance and ventilation.I don't use a inner cover and have went mostly with migratory lids, i leave them on year round. The bees rarely build comb in them, and the only shb i see are in the feeders when empty and the bees have them contained in a corner.Never seen more than 6 or 7 shb's in them and are easy to get with the hive tool :thumbsup: Jack
    PS. i use bubble wrap with slits cut in it, cut to the size of the syrup compartment to keep them from drowning. Just my way of beekeeping and has worked great for several years. :thumbsup:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You don't need ventilation during the time you are feeding. Maybe a little vent during freezing weather and when above 90 F. Close up completely when feeding.

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Thanks! Now I have a lot to mull over.

7. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

I was thinking of use paint stirring sticks between feeder and top box, Im afraid of to much condensation and mold issues from 2.1. Thoughts?

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You don't need to worry about those things until the temp is below 50 F.. The bees can care for it fine if they aren't clustered.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

When i'm feeding with the top feeders, i put duct tape over the top entrance and remove it when i'm thorough feeding and the weather turns cold at night. Jack