Hive top feeder with gallon pickle jar

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, May 2, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Going to use 1 gal. pickle jars to feed my bees. How many holes should I drill? Should I put it on top of the inner cover hole? Should I prop it up? Or should I place it on the frames with another deep over with inner lid on top and outer cover. Thanks

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

I made a small stand for my gal pickle jar feeders, just knocked a bunch of holes, no idea how many

Cut two pieces of wood, put a 5/8 spacer between them on two sides and cut a 4" hole ( i think it was 4) in one to put the jar.

036.JPG

And as you can see I just open feed

3. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

I rest my jars on a couple strips of scrap wood maybe 1/4" thick. The wood strips are laid across the hole in the inner cover. I place an empty deep on top of the inner cover and then the outer cover. Its quick, simple, keeps the bees from hives close by out of it. I can quickly check the syrup level by just taking a peek inside by gently lifting the outer cover every couple of days.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I like that zulu...I may have to copy that myself...less disturbing the inside to check the ziplock bags.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it seems to me the size of the holes are about as important as anything. on quart jars I use one of those thin shanked frame nails to make the holes. on most lids I punch three holes. you would always wish to elevate the lid somewhat from making contact with the top bars. contact with the holes would essentially make the fluid in the bottle constantly flow out <which here first will lead to robbing and then to an ant invasion.

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

I use the same small nail as I use for nailing in the foundation wedge, tiny 3/4" nail, and I must say I just punch a whole lot around the lid