hive type and materials question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by yonu, Aug 20, 2014.

1. yonu

yonu Guest

Hi all,
    Let me first say I am very glad to have found this site. I am just getting started with beekeeping and have a couple of questions I am planning to build my hives but I am curious as to the route to go top bar or langstroth I was leaning towards top bar due to needing less equipment but the local person I contacted to purchase bees from in the spring told me that was a bad idea. So I figured I would get a second suggestion. As to the materials if I go the langstroth route can I build the boxes from OSB board or does it have to be ply-board?

Thanks,
    ​Yonu

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Welcome to the forum.

You should get plenty of import about the advantages and disadvantages of the hive types you mention.

Again there will be the pros and cons of different building materials.

You have contacted a local keep for your bees. In the UK, there is a strong view that local bees are the way to go. Local bees should have features suitable for local conditions (such as wintering).

3. camero7

camero7 Member

I would use neither. Plywood delaminates and is very heavy. OSB turns to scrap in a year or two. Use pine or fir boards.

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome yonu to the forum, and I am with camero on the wood to use. On the type of hive to use it is if you want the bees to make honey or just have them around for they will give you more honey in a langstroth than a top bar.

​Ken

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Langstroth hive will produce more honey and over a couple of years the sail of this extra crop will cover the additional cost of hive construction. Pine boards but you need to buy 1x12 and rip them down to 9 5/8" so the bee space is maintained.
    Here are plans for hive construction http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/apiculture/construction.pdf
    Welcome to this forum.

6. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member