Finally got to peek in at my poor neglected hive. Looks like they are doing fine without me! This was the one with the empty bottom box. Well, lack of space did indeed, push the queen down, and there is a good brood pattern on the 2 frames I pulled out. Upper 2 supers are a mix of brood and honey. They were busting at the seams, so I added a super. The SBB was covered with several hundreds more larvae mummies. All seemed well in the hive, so all I can guess is that they had a massive kill early in the spring when we had a cold snap, and the ladies have just been cleaning the cells on an as-needed basis.