Hive Ventilaters

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Jul 5, 2011.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I was surfing and I found a website that sells small hive ventilaters that run on solar power. They are thermostatically controlled and claim to be the best thing since sliced bread. I have no desire to get one but was wondering if anyone had ever tried something like this.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Haven't tried one. Of course, my bees don't eat sliced bread, either. :eek: :lol: :evil:

3. Murrell

Murrell New Member

There is a group in Oklahoma that really rave about them.
    Too expensive for my hobby

Murrell

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

All kinds of fancy gadgets and snake oil salesmen out there, remember there is one born every day!

I get the concept but do not think it would be of that great of value.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

What will the little girls do to stay happy if you make them redundant? :shock:
    I thought the way to economic recovery is through full employment. :confused:
    (The contraptions are probably made in------I'd rather not say where). :(

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

some years back in one of the journals (ABJ I think????) a Canadian 'engineering type' professor built a ventilator that operated vents built into what appeared to me to be about a 3" think top cover. I think perhaps some green house ventilator might work in the same manner. it really had no power, solar or otherwise.

in some location like Canada you could see how this could be useful but I would guess more in the early spring than anytime else and primarily for helping control moisture than temperature.

7. letitbee

letitbee New Member

From what the ad said is that it was important to keep humidity levels down inthe hive to prevent chalkbrood and a few other maladies. In theory it makes sense but to me bees have been around a lot longer than we have and they know what to do to thrive. I really think that man has interferred way too much into nature with dubious consequences, to say the least. Somehow I just can't get my mind around putting air conditioning in a bee hive ;) I am just happy knowing that I gave some homeless bees a great home and try to stay out of their lives as much as I can. Now if we could only have governments follow suit :roll: