Hive with no brood very little stores

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bergfarm, Oct 27, 2014.

1. bergfarm

bergfarm New Member

Hi. I did a hive check today to prepare my hives for the winter. One of my four hives that was very active a month ago was not so much now. I noticed no brood and very very little stores. The wax turned a brown color. I attached a photo of a frame. There are alot of bees still in the hive. So i was guessing that there was no queen because of the lack of food. So i took a frame of brood from my strongest hive and added to this hive with hopes they will make a new queen. I also added 1 1/2 gallons of sugar syrup 2 parts sugar and 1 part water to a hive top feeder. Has anyone seen this before? Is this a case of robbing? But would robbing stop a queen from laying? The frames smell like bees wax and don't have a foul smell. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    camera 474.jpg camera 475.jpg camera 476.jpg camera 477.jpg

2. bergfarm

bergfarm New Member

I forgot to mention. This is a swarm that i caught this spring from my first hive. A month ago they were going strong. I had to add a 3rd medium box. Thanks

3. camero7

camero7 Member

Are you sure there is no queen in the hive? too late for a new queen - no drones flying now. I would continue feeding and wait for a warm day and search for a queen. If you're certain there isn't one in the hive best to combine it with another hive.

4. bergfarm

bergfarm New Member

Hi. I checked the hive twice today and didn't find a queen. I combined it with a swarm hive i caught a month and a half ago. Thanks

5. camero7

camero7 Member

good luck. Make sure they have enough stores and feed or put sugar/fondant on top if they aren't heavy enough.

6. LazyBkpr

LazyBkpr New Member

Quite often you will find that the queen has shut down for winter prep, OR has shut down because no resources were coming in. I have several nucs that looked JUST like your hive..
    We had Goldenrod galore, and more blooms than we have had for several years. We have had excellent rainfall.. by all accounts, this fall should have seen the bees put on record stores and produce a LOT of extra Honey.. Instead... I noticed a nuc had no activity.. So I checked it, and found they had starved.. In mid October? I checked the rest of my nuc's and hives.. The hives were still doing fair, but MOST of the nucs were on the ragged edge of starvation.. Within an hour I had feeders/syrup on them.. A week later I had brood again..
    It may very well be possible you had no queen, I just wanted to point out other possibilities this time of year.