Hives are Moved!!!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by DonMcJr, Jul 21, 2012.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Well tonight we moved Farmall's 2 Langs to my house! Everything went well and it was dark when we got done so I'll get some pics tomorrow!

Had one Bee that decided she was gonna try and sting my face through my Veil but of course the veil stopped her...she was persistant though! It was a bumpy ride and now tomorrow they are gonna wake up to a new world lol! Hope they do ok!:cool:

2. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

3. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I want to inspect the 2 new to me hives. Should I give them a day or 2 to orientate or should I go in it tomorrow? (the day after the night I moved them)

The one hive only has 2 deeps and if the comb isn't drawn I wanna start feeding them and see if I can boost them...

4. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Don you may want to put a handful of grass on the entrance(s) to help the bees orientate to their new location.When I relocated my colonies last year,this was the advice I was given.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    I want to inspect the 2 new to me hives. Should I give them a day or 2 to orientate or should I go in it tomorrow? (the day after the night I moved them)

tecumseh:
    the time between setting a hive down and inspection is very flexible. I myself would not set a hive down and immediately begin some extensive examination simply because at that point the girls are a bit wound up from the bumpy ride. 24 hours later I typically take a look inside primarily to make certain nothing unexpected has occurred during their little journey.

6. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Thanks, I'll wait til tomorrow. The one hive is week and if what I saw in the low light was right there's very little comb in the top deep so I think I need to feed to try and help them out. Gonna go take some pics of the hives and see if they are Orientating in a few here...

7. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Here's some pics of my Apiary...:cool:

Bees flying eveywhere!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Where I like watching is when hives are set up like this. You really don't get a sense of the traffic until you look above the hives, against the dark backdrop. It is there that you can really get a picture of the awesome aerial display. The speed at which they come and go is incredible! (and no collisions that I have been witness to).

9. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

It is really neat... Bees everywhere around the hives some Orientating and other taking off to collect netar and pollen!:cool:

I see I need to go out there with a shovel and level though... setting them up in the dark doesn't make for a level setup lol

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You should be up here when the frost comes out of the ground in the spring :lol: Looks like a bunch of "leaning towers of pisa".
    I have found them with a pretty wicked lean on at times! :shock:

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

very cool don on the moving of the hives from farmall, and enjoyed your pictures!

12. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Ok I just went out and inpected all 3 Hives...and I need some advice...

We'll start with the weak hive... Very few bees and only bottom deep drawn. Black wax foundations and there doesn't seem to be eggs or Brood. Some of the black areas looked dried out. I'm thinking Wax Moths but it could also be lack of water...

Do I pull out all the crappy black comb and replace with new plasticell and start feeding and hope for the best?

I knew this hive was weak and gonna be an issue so don't worry John it's fun trying to get it going!

The 2nd new to me hive looks good. Only Half of the 1st Super Frames were drawn so I pulled off the top super...

My Hive I think is almost ready to Harvest Honey! It was soo Darn HOT I was ready to pass out so all I did was peek in my top super and I saw all Capped Honey...not sure if it's all capped but My hive is doing good.

The Heat was so bad I didn't even think of pics...I know I should have but man I am still hot here.

Gotta go somewhere for a bit so I'll check back later and THANKS!

Can anyone link some pics of Wax Moth and Wax comb dried out and whatever you think it may be?

If not I'll go pull the bad frames again tomorrow and take pics...