Hives in the Rain

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by catecalloway, Jun 22, 2012.

1. catecalloway

catecalloway New Member

I got a crock pot and a paint brush and I've been planning to drive down to my bees tonight, open up the top hive box, remove the unused frames, coat them in wax, then return them to the hive the next morning. This is to encourage a slow hive to build comb.

The only problem is: it's cloudy and showery today, and it's going to be even more showery tomorrow.

Is the reason that you're not supposed to open up hives when it's raining because you don't want water to get in there? And the entire hive is inside rather than out foraging, and in a grumpy mood?

If it's probable that there aren't any/many bees in the top box anyway (which would be the only part I'm opening up), and I had a friend hold a big umbrella over the hive, is that a viable workaround, or is that completely stupid?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The reason for not working them in the rain is the same as the reason for roofers not removing your roof in the rain.

YOU WOULD TRY TO KILL THEM.

The bees will do the same to you if you remove their roof in the rain.

3. catecalloway

catecalloway New Member

Oh!! So glad I asked! :)

Darn, it's so tough having a hive that's an hour and a half away. I've been pretty lucky with weekend weather so far, but not this time, I guess.

4. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Wow! and I thought 12 miles stunk. Won't complain any longer!

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Never open a hive on a day you wouldnt want the roof taken off your house. Using plastic foundation it is hard to get the bees to draw it out especially if a dearth is on. If you are not feeding I would suggest feeding would probably do more to encourage them than putting a wax coating on the plastic. although if it doesnt already have wax on it you do have the right idea to coat it with wax