Hives so far...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, May 2, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

We started off with 2 nucs.
    Today we added a medium box of frames and foundation to both hives. The deep super on the bottom is mostly full and the bees were building comb on the inner cover.
    It seems each hive has it's own personality. The hive with more sulight seems to be a little stronger and calm when we work them while the hive in the shade has a few less bees and I refer to this hive as the "pms" hive....always grouchy. The wife took 3 stings tonight and pulled 5 stingers out of her bee glove. I've yet to be stung even though tonight I had holes in my jeans. I tell her she must be sweeter lol.
    I wasn't going to include her in my beekeeping venture because I knew she wasn't an insect person but now I can tell she genuinely cares about the well being of the bees. Her getting stung was a result of trying to brush off all the bees on the covers so they wouldn't be crushed.

They are taking ALOT of sugar syrup. I'm hoping I'm not doing them an injustice by feeding them and not making them go forage for their own food. I see lots of bees coming in with bright yellow clumps on their legs (pollen I assume) so some are out working.

Attached Files:

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Looks real good, Watch out or the wife will take over and you'll have to go fishing just to stay out of her way. :D Jim

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Based on the color of the hive bodies the bee keeper in question must be colorful????

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

That was supposed to be a stain but turned out to be more of a paint. I definately wanted a lighter color. Now that the novelty has worn off and we're "down to business you can bet our next hives will be off white or some neutral color...maybe just polyurathane (sp).

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Duo-Core, i had a hive in the shade that was hot, and my old beekeeping buddy said to move it out so it can get more sun and they won't be so mean. I did, and i had no more problems with it, you can try it, it don't cost nothing. :thumbsup: Jack

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Keep feeding till they stop taking it !!
    They need food to get established, didn't you jut get them last week ?
    They are in the process of building comb, and producing lots of larva.

Murrell