Hiveware wood

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Oct 14, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

This winter I plan to make my own hiveware. It seems that the select pine is preferred due to the lack of knots in the wood. My question is why does it matter as long as the knots are sound? if the wood is dry and the knots have not split then why would it matter? It's going to be painted anyways. Now, I can see if the knot is the size of a baseball you would look for better but walnut size?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I never buy select. I buy budget. They always have knots.
    I buy bee houses, others buy yard ornaments. They buy select. It looks pretty.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

No problem at all, but be sure to think ahead. You don't want the knots, as firm as they may be, at the joints or in positions where you will want to drive nails. When cutting the wood on a knot, they tend to loosen or break if nailed.

4. wadehump

wadehump New Member

if you have a menards close buy they run sales on lumber, 1 month ago 1 got 5 each 1x12x12 and 3 each 1x8x12 for $47 made 10 deeps and 6 mediums

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I always lay out my cuts to get the most out of it and never cut threw a knot.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Then you're set to go. Happy building. :wink:

7. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

As Iddee said, the budget versions from most of the major distributors allow for knots that aren't cut through. I think I've had 2 on all the boxes I've bought so far, but none near corners or edges and none that broke or popped out and my boxes have survived bear attacks.

One box did get a section of one top edge, just above the handle, broken off during one of the attacks, maybe that wouldn't have happened with a select. I really think it was more due to the angle of the fall it took and the propolis attaching it to the box on top of it that made it snap. But, it's upper entrance/ventilation in summer and I cover it in winter and it's not a problem. Heh.

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I'm beginning to realize I don't have to be pretty anymore...the bees don't care.....I use the budget pine stuff too...

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

That's good Dave, I don't think the bees care if you're pretty either, and I am positive they don't care if the boxes you make are either. :lol:

I bought 204' of 7/8" x 9 3/4" pine @ 50 cents a foot from our local mill (see thread regarding free jar of honey :wink:) . With taxes it came out to $117.50. With the few cut-offs I did have I still ended up with 31 deeps. Carefully watching where you make your cuts, and turning any imperfections or wane to the inside pays off. The waste that I had could be held in my hands. Were there knots? You bet, none of them loose or I would have cut them out. The bees could care less.

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I also buy the budget lumber and like above info, watch where i cut to avoid contact with the knots and nails or screws. One other thing i do is rub a thin layer of outside glue over the knots on the outside exposure before painting them, i'm thinking the bees will propolize the inside if they don't like it.:grin:

11. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

There is nothing wrong with number 2 pine.
    Knots and imperfections will rot and split loose faster than solid wood after years of expansion and contraction. I can show you where every knot is even if there are a dozen coats of paint after several years. Changes can be from moisture or temperature so sealing with the best paint helps at least from the outside.

12. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

ahhhh... If I were better with wood tools I would save so much money...

As it is, I buy in enough bulk to get some discount, and put them together while watching movies... Works for me. And I buy budget boxes and they do have knots.

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Gypsi, be careful about putting those boxes together while watching movies, i've heard that if you don't watch what your doing you can come up with the handles on the inside.:shock: Not that i've seen this done:roll:, but i've heard of it.:lol: Jack

14. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I'll go with everyone else. If I buy from Mann Lake, Brushy Mountain, etc. I buy the budget. When I build my own-I check out the cull pile at the local home improvement centers. You might have a little more waste (most of which can be used for smaller projects), but the money you save is worth it.

15. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Those handles on the inside are so you can pick up the boxes while the paint is still wet.:grin: Jim

16. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Perry's telling funnies....ha! :grin:

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Budda Bing, Budda Boom! :lol:

18. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

:rolling:

I'm in the same boat as Gyspi. I have to purchase my wooden ware precut. But I'm not afraid of a hammer and paint brush.
    My local supplier has offered, for a fee, to sell me reassembled and painted hive bodies and supers! Apparently, he has customers that buy ready made.

19. R Dewhurst

R Dewhurst New Member

I founs a sale ad in bee culture that beeline apiaries in PA is doing a sale till the end of november on budget wares. hive bodies for 6.95.

20. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

My guys built my bee vac with a medium box with upside down handles, and they were not watching movies, LOL. Beeline Apiaries?