Hmm noticed a few shall we say unwanted traits with first buckfast colony?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by barry42001, May 25, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

This was the second time that I was treated like a red haired step child by the buckfast bees that are supossedly gentle bees( 1st time was my fault decided to go immediately after a rain storm, still cloudy, and was approaching dusk) OK my fault got that, today sunny about 7PM plenty of sun, as as the last time I was not precisely mass attacked, although I am certian were I not paying attention is could well have happened. had a small cloud of bees circling around my head * remind me again why I suit up to work bees lol even smoking all around my head, the bees while not attacking, stayed with me into the car, lit smoker on the floor smoking away, all windows down as bees went for the open windows not even a loiterer waiting in the wings ( nice pun right )I have not noticed this behavior before but once last week, prehaps is a product of a ever enlarging colony that now has something to defend * added 2nd brood chamber today.
    Barry

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the defensive/aggressive disposition of a hive is (imho) never revealed until the hive's population gets fairly robust.

I myself am a bit leery of some sources of the buckfast. the canadians seem to keep that stock fairly true to it's origin... some US suppliers I just have reservations about.

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

It could be stress conditions in the hive or they are open mated in an AFB region. If you like the good Buckfast traits as I do, change source. Canadian Buckfast from Ferguson, or Miksa, are very docile.