Hogan style swarm trap

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by melrose, Apr 13, 2012.

1. melrose

melrose New Member

I can't find any info on this style trap.
    Anybody have plans or ideas to share?

I've had three calls to my ads, all are bees in a wall of a house.

thanks

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Detail/?id=33323331333733373336

For $71 bucks I would buy a roll of #8 hardware cloth and make many, many, many traps.

ave not used one so do not know much about them. Have read somewhere that you plug all entrances/exits and install the tunnel for them to use. After they have set up shop in the new hive a bee escape is put in the tunnel and then the bees are trapped in the new hive. Claims to get the old queen also.

The bee escape that is used in the tunnel.

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Detail/?id=3336333733323330&grouped=1

If you are handy it would be easy to make.

3. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Hogan’s Bee Trap | Honey-Sun.com. Melrose take a look at this, contact email at the bottom of the page.
    The way he explains it is instead of a wire cone you use a solid tunnel attached to the tree/wall and you leave it that way a couple of days until they get use to it, then you slide the trap box( that has a hole in it )over the solid tunnel and install a frame of brood in the box.The field bees will care for the brood and start stores in the box. The queen will smell the brood and come out to see who's laying in her area and end up moving between both brood chambers and useing both. After 4-5 days you install a cone/bee excape over the tunnel inside the trap box and check it every few days to find when the queen is trapped and remove the box before she figurs out how to get back in the parent hive.
    I have never tried this myself. Jim

4. rast

rast New Member

[​IMG]

Cone slides up and out, tunnel extends about 6" out the back of the box.

5. rast

rast New Member

6. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Thanks for the photo, Rast. I had never seen a close up of the funnel & cone.