hole size for feeder jar?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Mosti, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Hi all, I was planning to divide my hive and make a 5 frame nuc out of it. I plan on feeding it with the jar method. However I am concerned on what size the holes in the jar lid need to be? Any suggestions pleeeeasse??

Would any jar do? (since I almost allways come across the term 'mason jar'??

​Joe.

2. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I use large pickle jars. The holes are about 1/16" or smaller in diameter. Exact size is not that important, the important thing is that you punch them from the inside of the lid to the outside. This will leave the pointy ends sticking toward the bees. If you punch the holes the other way, you create little burrs that snag the bee's tongues as they withdraw them.

3. Crofter

Crofter New Member

3/64 th of an inch drill works nicely; if you go too large they have more tendency to leak. Punching with a nail dinges the holes either in or out and affects the shape of the droplet and the surface tension. I have done them with the nail/punch but I like the way the drilled ones feed.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you should be able to reference the Australian government publican 'fat bee skinny bee' and get a good idea that almost anything that will hold syrup can be made to work.. or to answer at least one of your questions yes almost any kind of jar will work. mason jars are fairly standard here in a lot of folks preserve various food items in these quart and pint sizes glass containers <to make the subject even more confusing the lids of 'mason jars' also come in regular and wide mouth versions.

the Australian publication also suggest that the number of holes also matter. for myself I typically use the thin shanked nails that you put frames together and I typically put 3 to 5 holes in the lid. one of my bee club buddies like to feed in small plastic sealable container and he tell me that 3 1/32" holes drilled in the top of the plastic pail works quite nicely.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

thumbtack size in a plastic pail lid. I just buy a lot of lids from dadant once a year and rotate and wash to keep them in good shape, but I don't have a lot of hives.

6. Lburou

Lburou Member

Sometimes I use plastic jars with plastic lids (mayonnaise jars in the USA)....That allows me to bend a paper clip and heat it with a torch until its red hot. Then, just push the red hot paper clip through the plastic lid as many times as you choose. Works fine for me.

7. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Lots of thanks guys. So a handful of holes should be enough then? I thought that I have to drill plenty...say +/- 50 in each lid.

8. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

Yes, anywhere from 5 to 10 holes is plenty.