Holiday Tradition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Walt B, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Walt B

Walt B New Member

About a year ago, Hobie (yes, blame Hobie) posted a video of a lyric opera cast singing Handel's Messiah to an unsuspecting group at a food court (I think). Anyway, holiday postings seem like a good tradition. :thumbsup:

So, with the holiday season approaching, please enjoy this rendition of "I'll be Home for Christmas" by a singer (?) of my generation, Bob Dylan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJt4Bg6705s&feature=related

Oh, one critic said Dylan's "I'll be Home for Christmas" is more of a threat than a promise. :lol:

Walt

2. rast

rast New Member

Thank you Walt. I enjoyed it.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Hey, now wait just a doggone minute, Walt! Did I do that?
    (ooh, I believe I did...) :D

Watch out, or I will start posting my Christmas "gardening carols"...

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Christmas "gardening carols"? That's a new one on me. Could we have an example?

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I'll bet tunes like "Big Boy the Red Tomato", "Cabbage Loopers Com'in to Town", and "I'm Dreaming of a White Onion". :)

Walt

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

:goodpost: Walt, :lol: :lol:

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Walt, no.... but those titles are GREAT! I just might have to get to work on a couple of those.

As for an example, I steadfastly refuse to push the Christmas season as far as the retail industry, so you all will just have to wait...

("Big Boy..." "Cabbage Loopers...". I'm still chuckling! :lol: )

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm with you Hobie, on pushing christmas. Black Friday is now starting on Thursday (9:pm) in Springfield,Mo. this year :roll: . They started putting christmas items up around here the same time they were putting halloween items out. :confused: Jack

9. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Lewis Black did a routine on Santa and Halloween. As a family forum, enough said...except at one point he asked, "How much stuff can you Christians buy?" :lol: Good point.

Look at the Dylan song as an antidote for the holidays. If you find yourself getting into the "Christmas Spirit", play the Dylan song...it will get you out of it real quick! :lol:

Walt

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Remember when the christmas parade was after thanksgiving and everyone was excited about christmas and family gettogethers. Nowaday (most) everyone is sick of it and can't wait till it's over by the time it gets here, and many have foregot the meaning of christmas. :confused:Our daughter (2nd grade teacher) has told us some gut wrenching stories about what some families are going through, and it's not just through the holidays. :cry: Don't know whether i'll be able to enjoy my holiday meals thinking about it. Jack

11. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Please enjoy. But at the same time, be Thankful, and use your new awareness to help those in need when you can. Feeling bad about an unfortunate situation benefits no one.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The school and neighbors are helping 18 families this year (food, clothing,and cutting wood for heat. The schools been serving breakfast for the last four years for grade school children. Most are proud people who have fell on hard times.This is only at my daughters school that i've heard about, and without a dought, there are thousands of teachers out there with heartbreaking stories like these. I know there are others who need help, but when it comes to helpless children, it's hard to take. :cry: Jack

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

WaltB writes:
    So, with the holiday season approaching, please enjoy this rendition of "I'll be Home for Christmas" by a singer (?) of my generation, Bob Dylan.

tecumseh:
    although one of mine and jimmies favorite song writers, I don't think anyone ever accused Bob of being a great singer. his voice does lend itself better to some songs than others. one more cup of coffee... is kind of my theme song.