Hollyhocks and sweetpeas

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by brooksbeefarm, Feb 15, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

When i was a kid i remember everyone around had hollyhocks, even seen them in fence rows. I don't remember seeing a hollyhock that didn't have a bee on it.( they were probably after pollen) They would grow a stalk up to six feet high (maybe more?) and have flowers from midway to the very top. At the time i didn't think they were pretty, but think i'll plant some this spring, maybe it's a reminiscing thing? Another flower my aunt Lottie had growing on top of her root cellar was sweetpeas, they had a pink bloom on them but i don't remember seeing bees work them, but they are a legume.I haven't seen either of these flowers around for years, have you? Jack

PS. Alot of reminiscing going on here,all this snow and freezing weather is working on me.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have the old fashioned hollyhocks. Three colors of them. Had sweetpeas at my mother's house. Haven't looked for them. They may still be there.

3. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

My Grandpa, in Mo, grows hollyhocks. They have practically taken over his side yard, which is a little 3'x Approx.15' stretch of ground in between his house and his neighbors. I brought some root stock home, after we visited him last year, because I think they are beautiful flowers! The leaves withered up a little while after we planted them, though, and I just hope that they will come back up this spring like they are supposed to!
    I don't think I've seen any one grow sweet peas, except the veggies. We have a few wild sweet peas growing in the woods but they are hard to find because they grow along the ground under all the brush.

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Sweet peas are alive and well. Check the seed catalogs are your local gardening center. I've seen them. I haven't grown any because I don't think they can take our summers here. I always think of them in English gardens.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Went to my seed supplier and found a mix of hollyhock seeds, they were out of sweetpea seed. My brothers and i wouldn't play in the sweetpeas, they made a thick cover over the root cellar and we had to watch for copperheads. I could have them here, there's never been a poison snake seen or killed by a realative on this farm in it's 130 year history :thumbsup: . Jack

6. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Jack, I have some hollyhock seed and maybe some plants I can bring you next time I'm down if you want? I had 3 different colors in separate bags red pink and black and my dang chickens got in my garage and mixed them up for me!!! They are prolific seeders and I get alot of extra's ea year.
    We also have some wild sweet pea looking plants in the old homestead house. Bee's are on them alot!Zane

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Zane, i bought some hollyhock seed (mixed colors) at Morgan Co. seed company last Friday, i would like to have a sweetpea start if you have any. I took some cuttings off the pussy willow bush and have them in a container of water. If they put on roots maybe i can fix you up with some. :thumbsup: Jack

8. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Sounds good Jack, Have you found and dutch clover less than $3.50lb/50lb bag? If so I'm interested.

9. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

BBF- I just ordered some heirloom sweet pea seeds from Burpee's online. If I get them to germinate, we'll see if the bees like to work them. My pussy willow catkins are opening up. Hard to tell if the bees like to work them or not. It's too cold and damp for the bees to venture out.

10. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

:cry: My hollyhocks didn't come up. I brought some of great grandma's columbine back from Missouri, though, and it's doing good so far.

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That's great BB, to keep the plants going like that. There is quite a few flowers and trees in my moms yard from her moms old home place. I think it is pretty neat myself.

G3

12. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

I picked some hollyhock seeds in Ohio last year & planted them this spring. I sowed them in a flat & as they germinated transfered them to pots. Ended up with 50 which I will transplant next spring. Should be a mix of colors as you never can tell with cross polination.

13. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Thanks G3, our family has always done things like that. We have quiet a few things that have been passed down for 4 generations (including me). More nik-nak things than plants, though. My favorite things are prize winning irises that are from the family farm that my great aunt bred for shows. They bloomed really well this year.

We take our family's history and heritage pretty serious, though, and I appreciate the complement. Thank you.

14. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

I have some stuff from mom and gramps @ my place. Goosberries, grapes, isis, peony(Gramps fav), cherry tree, hollyhocks, Tulips, asparagas, various roses and ?. What color are those prize winner Iris Baby beek?

15. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

There is one that's dark purple on bottom and white on top,a beautiful dusty pinkish one(my favorite), and bright yellow. I think they are bearded irises, but I would have to ask my aunt to know for sure. There's one more but it hasn't bloomed yet. I think I need to fertilize it.
    You really have alot of things! I wanted to bring home some of Great Grandma's peonies but, as bad as ants are out here, I was afraid that would make it worse.

16. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

yeah I hate them ants and have the peonies planted away from my house. I actually thought of that BEFORE I planted them!lol

17. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

:lol: that was a good idea! When we lived in Mo I didn't mind the ants too bad, since most of them didn't bite, but out here all of them bite. Mama and I still have scars from our first year of gardening!