Holysmokes here we go again

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Zookeep, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Well, this is a massive hive, they are using both electrical boxes as entrances, they go up the wall and have built there nest in the ceiling of the garage and they are getting into the main part of the house looking for other ways out, theres gotta be 2k dead bees near every window and door inside

Attached Files:

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Re: Ogod here we go again

EHB?
    Electrified honey bees?
    I'm probably preaching to the choir, but make sure those boxes aren't energized before messing with them.

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Re: Ogosh here we go again

this just the entrances outside, the nest is on the other side of the wall and up, from what I seen so far, the nest is probably 3 or 4 foot wide by 6 foot in the ceiling joists of the garage

4. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

:shock: Don't people notice these things? How can you have a hive of bees, 6'x4' in your garage without doing something about it LONG BEFORE? Or, as I'm beginning to suspect, none of this was happening in Sarasota until you started doing trap outs and swarms. Not accusing! Just wondering... :lol:

5. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Sometimes not Sky,last month Rib Bones and I did a cut out in a kids playhouse :eek: :shock: at the same house I did a cut out back in May that was a open nest in an oak tree near the playhouse,and judging from the size of the nest I'm fairly sure it was there when I was in May,but I was looking up not down.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sky, a friend told me about a hive in a house here. I went and talked to the lady. She stated they had been there off and on for 30 years. They would be there a few years, die out, then more would move in. I could have them if I wanted, but she didn't care one way or the other. People don't always panic when they see a bee.

7. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

Wow. Weirder and crazier.

I guess I should apologize to Zookeep for thinking he was causing swarms to suddenly appear... ;)

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

its just no1 cared sky, the house gets used 1 time a year and sits empty the rest, real nice house too out on longboat key. the 1 time a years coming up so now it needs to be taken care of :lol: no clue when Im gonna do this though, Im outa boxes, was not planning on all these hives this fast

9. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

Ah! Yep, sounds like homes on Longboat Key to me. Wish I had an extra hive (or three...?) to "loan" you. :D

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

it gets worse, just got a call from a guy has a hive living under his mobile home, gonna go look at it in the morning :roll:

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well, the mobile home has a good hive under it lots of foragers on the move, Im thinking Im going to have to cut the brick away to get at them, its cosmetic but still going to be a pain, I have no clue what to charge for this mess :confused:

Attached Files:

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can go underneath, remove the tarpaper, and expose the whole comb. Very easy removal, other than laying on your back to do it.

Similar to this:

[​IMG]

13. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

1st thing I thought of, went to the access and looked under, the part there at is a addition off the side with noway to get to it, its a doublewide and its almost on the ground as it is

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

just a small warning Zookeep not wanting to alarm you excessively.... based on experience and lab testing here any hive under a mobile home or in a water meter box is highly subject to be somewhat africanized. There are of course no sure fired rules here (them girls just want to have fun) but european bees would rather be up in a hollow tree and africanized bees don't really seem to care.

15. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well Ill know after I open it up, 1st thing Ill look for is straight comb at the bottom, and when not sure Ill just requeen real fast, gonna do it tuesday in the am.

16. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Well, I just ordered 2 more full hives and 2 more 9 inch brood boxes, I never thought it would get this busy this fast