Home canned food

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Iddee, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Home canning may be hot and hard work in the summer, but a home made peach cobbler, in January, like my wife just made, sure makes up for it. :thumbsup:

2. beekeeperhelper

beekeeperhelper New Member

Oh, you are so right! The food is fresher (and often cleaner) when it hits the jar, and the taste is better when it comes out. We are having spaghetti marinara tonight, with our own sauce.
    It's a good wife who cans (as I remind my husband frequently). Enjoy your cobbler!

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...................peach cobbler my favorite, only thing make it better is home made ice cream.

you lucky raskal you.

G3

4. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I agree completely! I've insisted that my kids learn to grow and process their own food. Baby Beek is learning to can, the boys will start learning this year. The food tastes so much better, and it doesn't have stuff you can spell or pronounce in it. We can meat and broth, homemade soups and veggies of all sorts. I think it's a really rewarding way to spend my time, and the day ends with that "plink" sound that makes me so happy!

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Mmm! Making me hungry. I may have to break out a jar of those pears I put up last summer.

6. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

We(as in she) just froze a bunch of fresh lemon juice today and we're going to play with the oranges tommorrow and see if we can find a sugar content that freezes well. Way back when we had spare time and energy we bought a pressure cooker for canning that we finally drug out to tinker with the other day. I've always tinkered in the garden but we are slowly moving away from "what tastes good now" and moving to a "let's live from our garden" mentality.

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I'm sure that citrus can be canned using a pressure canner....I don't have the specific info, but I don't think it would be hard to find. Personally I would be very tempted to can a lemon syrup for making lemonade, and orange syrup for cooking with and as many other things as I can think of..... oh my goodness I made myself hungry now.

I may just have to go bake blueberry muffins and some orange syrup to go on them.....mmm.

And Hobie's pears sound good too. My kids love pear butter on biscuts, and pears with some cinnamon and sugar in the oatmeal! Pear crisp is really yummy too. Back home we had a huge pear tree, we really miss that tree :(

We had a peach tree too, Baby Beek loves peach butter and I just adore pickled peaches and peach pie and peach preserves and peach cobbler and homemade peach ice cream!

Oh goodness, I'll never lose the weight I've gained over the fall and winter will I? :p

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That has to be in my top ten favorite sounds, that "plink" will make you smile every time.

I also love to hear the clip from a M1 Garand being extracted after that last shot, boom "TING".......Iddee will know (maybe).

G3

9. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

I loved my M-1, liked my M-14, but when I could carried an AK rather than a M-16 when Icould get away with it

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They were in the process of retiring the M-1 when I went in. I was issued the M-14, then the 16 in Nam. My favorite was the M-79 grenade launcher. You didn't miss with that very often.

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

LOL..... "plink" will always be my favorite sound around here but I truly do enjoy that "TING" of the M1 too. A good friend of ours has a range so my lucky young 'uns have fired some pretty sweet weapons and are VERY good shots. Personally, being a girly type person I prefer a nice .45 acp with a customized grip for my little hands but if someone is handing out the bigger guns just give me an AR-15 any old day.....no "TING" but I can play with it a good deal longer than I can hold that M1.

Somewhere I have pics of the kids at one of the "range days"....too much fun!