Homemade "Tecumseh" Extractor Finished!!!

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Indiana Dave, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

For a while I've been toying with building an extractor. I was originally hoping to build a radial-style extractor with the capability to extract up to 9 frames, by use of bicycle rims and a food-grade plastic drum. Meanwhile, other opportunites came up and I altered my plans.
    While looking for alternatives to bicycle rims, our own Tecumseh (thank you sir :thumbsup:) offered to barter a 2-frame tangential basket (reel) with crank/gear assembly. When I got the reel, I went on the hunt for a stainless canister. Some guys at work pointed me toward a local sandblasting business that also buys scrap stainless. For the price of a coupla jars of honey and maple syrup, I went home with a stainless canister from a gently used shop vac. After replacing the bearing on the gear assembly and drilling a few holes in the canister, this is what I came up with.:grin: Can't wait til later this sumer!!!

[​IMG]

Top view
    [​IMG]

Top inside view
    [​IMG]

And if that wasn't enough, my Dad called me the next day to tell me that his neighbor had a small swarm in the hedge next to their driveway. I picked them up Thursday morning right after daylight and put them in a 10 frame deep box with a frame of brood with nurse bees and a frame of pollen. I guess that kinda makes up for the dead bees at the cutout I went to do last Monday. Ended up being about 1 1/2 lbs. of bees and a small queen.
    Not bragging, just wanted to share my good news and joy.:razz:

[​IMG]

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That extractor looks as good as a store bought one to me!!

And a swarm to boot, can't be beat!!

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

Good looking extractor, now you need more swarms:thumbsup: Happy for you Dave:grin:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would call it a good day! :thumbsup: And ain't it just like tec, just when ya think ya got him pegged. :wink:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That's my buddy Tec. He's got the answer for about anything.

6. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Shoot, bragging or not.....I love hearing the good news. Brag on:thumbsup:

James

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you want to productively use that lovely sooking extractor this season, weigh the option of uniting a few small swarms to produce one strong family that can eficiently collect you a good crop.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

looks good... you did a nice job and the reel and crank I ain't trippin' over ever again.

9. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

:thumbsup:Thank you sir!! Hope I did you proud. Glad I got to help you tidy up a bit too.
    The small swarm is bringing in plenty of pollen. In a coupla days, I'll check on the queen's laying pattern to see if she's a keeper. Hopefully they are more docile than the last swarm I picked up last July. If I get another small swarm in the near future, I might combine it with this one and keep the best queen of the two.

Pictures of my newly built Bee-Vac coming soon....:grin:

10. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Darn great job on the extractor Dave:thumbsup:.Do you have a full machine shop in the garage for that?

Very professional!!!!:thumbsup:

11. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Can't wait.

12. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Thank you. Actually, the SS canister was in great shape when I got it. I really didn't have to do much to it. All I did was use a hole saw bit to cut the 1 3/4" honey gate hole near the bottom and drilled a couple of holes in the sides near the top to attach the brackets for the crank assembly. I got everything else from Tecumseh. You can see 'Vigo County School Corp.' stenciled on the backside of the extractor. LOL Figured I'd hide it in the pictures but here it is.
    [​IMG]

I'm very happy with it but I have one concern. The top of the basket/reel is very close to the top opening of the SS canister, and I'm afraid its so close that it might sling honey out when I'm extracting. So now I'm brainstorming for a way to construct something to keep that from happening. Guess I'll find out when I extract!

13. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Could you cut 2up half circle pieces of plexiglass and place them over the top?

14. jim314

jim314 New Member

Very nice job !!

15. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Well, I thought about that, but if you look at the very first picture, you can see that the top part of the basket/reel frame extends past the top of the canister. But plexiglass semi-circles just might work....gonna tinker with it some. :)

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it will need some kind of cover... the current mode of the day seems to be plexiglass although the older version had ss half moon covers. when extracting a good deal of very fine spray is generated in the process. without some cover everything 'in the room' will quickly become sticky.

and yes you did make me proud.... reward enough for this old man.

17. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Nice. Looks just like the one the association I belong to loans out to members.

18. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

HA! I was coming to this part of the forum to see if anyone had experience building an extractor. My husband's boss has some type of small motor, and he and my husband got to talking about bees...and so now he wants to try to build an extractor with this motor as a summer project, and trade it to us for some honey and help making it. Now I know where to look to give him some ideas on how to go about such a thing, awesome!

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

You'll never cease to be amazed at the wealth of information that can be found on this site.
    And even if it's there and you don't find it (needle in the haystack), you can ask and find forum members willing to answer for the Nth time.
    Nice to see that you look out after your hubby. I hope he is as considerate of you and apreciates your devotion. :grin:

20. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Aww, thanks for such a sweet sentiment!

Ha, if I didn't look out for him, he'd be dead in week.

*looks around to make sure he didn't join the forum while I wasn't looking*

I kid, I kid.

We look after each other, and he treats me like a queen. (Though not a queen bee; trying to replace me every three years would be painful for him, I have a big stick.)

Coming up on seven years married in the fall, it just gets better and better every year.