Honey and Allergies

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Walt B, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Some say honey helps with seasonal allergies. I'm not sure, but there's a woman at the post office that swears our local honey has almost eliminated her grand daughter's allergies. The man at the feed store says his allergies are better since he started eating our honey.

We were going to the Cameron Park Zoo in Waco today and were asked if we could bring some honey to try and help Donna's allergies. We did.

Donna.jpg

I hope Donna has some relief.

Walt

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Local honey will have the pollen from the plants in your area in it so the body is being decensitised to the pollens all year rather than getting hit with alergys and the body reacting and as soon as it has it under control an new pollen is in the air

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've had to many people tell me over the years thatsaid honey is the only thing that helps their alergys to be a denier? I have one neighbor that says eating a tablespoon full of honey a day not only has helped his alergys, but has helped his hearing (he's had hearing aids for years) and his wife says it has? One lady said the doctor had tried everything to help her sons alergy, but nothing helped. He told her to try local honey, that it helps some people, well she has been buying honey from me going on 4 yrs. now and claims her sons alergy has clered up, but comes back if they run out of honey, she drives 20 miles to my home for it, and buys several quarts at a time.These are only a few stories i've been told about.Who am i to say it doesn't.:???: Jack

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

It was the veterinarian that suggested local honey for Donna's allergies. It will be interesting to see if it helps. If it does, I guess I'll become a "believer". Come to think of it, my allergies almost disappeared when I started eating our honey...but I started taking Zyrtec at the same time. :wink:

Walt

5. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Walt, I have an example in our family where it helped our allergies. My son and wife had a bad allergy problem and it has gotten noticeably better since consuming our honey. That is until my son married and moved almost 60 miles away. Even though he still had my honey daily his allergies got worse again. My wife's allergy problem remained lots better. My son started buying local honey from the immediate area he lived and in a couple of weeks started having relief again. Now his allergies are under control again simply by eating local honey. I think it makes a difference and believe my personal family has proven it works for us.

6. BSAChris

BSAChris New Member

It just occurred to me to start feeding my very allergic dog Sam honey. She is okay most of the year, due to gobbling expensive filler-free salmon-based dog food; but when the ragweed starts to bloom or whatever it does, she becomes almost frantic with itching. I try to keep her from walking through it, and she has a Zyrtec every day, but there comes a point where for several weeks she is just a sad, red, itchy dog - and she's supposed to be a mellow yellow middle-aged lab. Lightbulb came on today. My mom and I have noticed our allergies went from some (me) and a lot (her) to NOTHING in the 16 months that we've been eating local honey. Might it help Sam? I don't know if the ragweed is even going to be a factor in the honey yet, since its just started, but I gave Sam 2 tablespoons of honey (which she loves, I found out when harvesting a couple of frames last month and trying to keep her 3-foot tongue off it) tonight and will start doing that routinely for the next couple of weeks and see what happens. Fingers crossed. Anything to help my little furry friend.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would cut the 2 TBL. to one ts. per day. You don't want to end up with a dog too fat to walk.

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'll second Iddee on that, if your aging lab is anything like my aging rotti mix

9. BSAChris

BSAChris New Member

I'll compromise on 1 tbsp. Old Sambo is pretty active and limber, but if I see her puffing up I'll back off some more.

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Chris you could trap pollen and feed it to her year around. Save the pollen collected during the time of year when she is effected the most. Put a little of it in her dog food each day. One pollen grain of each color will provide protection from all the differnt plants in the area.

11. BSAChris

BSAChris New Member

I've been curious about pollen collection - it seems like an even more effective way to deal with. I remember when I was in my 20s I got a bag of pollen from the local health food store and was taking a spoonful (not sure what size spoon) a day and ended up with horrific headaches and stuffed nose, so I stopped that. Possibly it wasn't local, or I was taking too much. In any case, I imagine as you say it needs to be just a little per day for Sam. I will look into that thanks.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

13. BSAChris

BSAChris New Member

Hey thanks Iddee - that's a neat looking contraption! I thought they were things that fit under the hive, but this is super simple. I'm getting one so I can get this ragweed pollen supply started asap!

14. Tiwilager

Tiwilager New Member

If you simply put a pollen trap on for a few days, most of it is probably from one or two flowers, where if you use honey, there isn't as much pollen in it, but if all extracted together, there is likely a wide variety of pollen in it.