Honey Bee Hive Removed From Brick Column

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by JPthebeeman, Sep 17, 2013.

1. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

The very large grinder I purchased from Harbor Freight last year makes jobs like this possible. I'm able to cut completely through the mortar between the bricks and remove the bricks in one piece and re-use them. Now that is impressive! You just have to love gadgets that make life easier folks! I know I sure as heck do!

...JP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HagxCyC8SWA

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey JP, another nice video. :thumbsup:
    What are you gonna do with those nasty bees, re-queen?

3. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

Perry, I am not quick to re-queen any colony I remove. I will usually give them several inspections and if they prove to be unruly I re-queen them. I know I mentioned in the video that these were mean but they still may be workable. I moved these to my bee yard near the swamp & haven't been able to get into them much, so the official verdict is not out yet.

Removing them and working them are of course two different ends of the spectrum as we all know too.

​...JP

4. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Great video, liked your new toy....lol The last bunch I got from an old rotten telephone pole were small very aggressive bees also. Do you think the feral bees are smaller? Tom

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

Thanks JB for the great video of the bee removing, you sure us a lot of smoking during this removable.

Ken

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Looks like that one turned out to be a bit more than expected. :shock:

Good job.

Note to all wannabee removers. Be prepared. You never know how extended a hive will be until you get it open.

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks again for the hard work in removing the bees, filming and editing. I enjoy them very much! I thought for sure someone including you would have mentioned the squirrel and the window peeper by now. I guess it's the blueblood in me looking around the edges at things. :grin: Hey, by the way, do you have mason skills as well? In other words, do you lay the bricks back in?

8. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

I know a lot of beeks suggest that in time feral colonies will regress and become these little tiny things but I have no concrete answer on that but that they seem to come in all sizes. I've removed some feral colonies that had been there for many yrs and noticed the bees were very small but other older colonies no really noticeable differences. I'm more of a proponent of natural cell bee keeping in that the bees know best and build according to their own specific needs.

My contractor fiend Trace was with me on this one and he repaired the column.

When the bees have more attitude I use more smoke on them, when they're nice, less smoke, hear that bees? :lol:

​...JP

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Gotta hand it to you JP---every video has something new to teach us. :thumbsup:
    ​Thanks