Honey Bee Packages from the United States to Canada Risk Assessment

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by ApisBees, Nov 2, 2013.

1. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Risk Assessment on the Importation of Honey Bee (Apis mellifera) Packages from the United States of America
    The Animal Health Risk Assessment (AHRA) unit of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) conducted a risk assessment to provide scientific information and advice in support of the

Canadian National Animal Health Program for the development of import policy.

These files are in PDF format so I dumped them in Dropbox and the link is to the files there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsyoqambe3xpfgs/Letter Honey Bees packages from US.EN.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bejd093nvf7htao/Final V13 Honeybeepackages from USA_Oct21_2013.pdf

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I can't get either link to work. Do you think they might actually open the border back up for bees to go in either direction. I have thought for a very long time that we do need to open the border back up although this sort of thing typically gives a larger advantage to the larger producer than to the small producer.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The jist of it is that they still believe there is risk associated with importation of honey bees from the USA and as such status quo remains the practice, no open border.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Tec try right clicking and link and save as then open with adobe reader on your computer. See if that works.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the link does work as a download. some folks just need to learn to punch the proper button. dah!

it seems a bit thin or reasoning. I am not certain how you limit the risk of exposure of something you already have? which is to say.... some of the stated concerns seem a bit illogical. tracing an item to it source is of course another thing altogether and as the article seem to indicate does represent a problem considering much of the political thinking of the southern US.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Given that up until very recently we did not have tracheal mites in Nova Scotia or PEI, and still do not have SHB, the ban may be based on slightly out-dated stats?