Honey Bee stings never been a problem. Wasp sting = BoilerJim to the Urgent Care

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BoilerJim, Sep 2, 2013.

1. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

I get stung all the time by honey bees and it's never been a problem.

However, having been through Anaphylactic Shock in the hospital 20 years ago in reaction to a certain medicine - I immediately recognized the symptoms after being stung in the leg by a wasp while clearing out some brush. :eek: I immediately took some Benadryl which helped my breathing. Doc says that was the best thing I could have done minus an epi pen. Guess who is going to have an epi pen handy from now on - JUST IN CASE............. :think:

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yikes Jim, glad you knew how to handle that. My two youngest daughters and nephew were playing on a play set yesterday at a family reunion when they rustled a nest of wasps. Keeping honey bees has been very beneficial for my girls. My girls stayed calm and slowly backed away without a sting. My nephew on the other hand, started jumping around like joe joe the circus monkey. 12 or so wasps attacked him and he managed to get around 4 stings. Needless to say, he was hurting pretty well after that. Wasps have been very plentiful here in Indiana this August. Sometimes we take them so much by surprise, the most calm person is going to get a hit.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have somewhat (but not so severe) reaction to ground dwelling yellow jackets.

4. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Two things; the first being that our bodies change from time to time, and the second is that benadryl seems to be high on doctor's list for after sting medication. My internist MD, tells me to keep benadryl in the frig and take a triple doze after being stung if there are any abnormal reactions to the sting. Take the recommended dosage if there is no reaction to the sting. I don't have any reaction to any of the stings, but I remind myself that is subject to change.

I'm sure glad Boiler Jim recognized the symptoms and reacted accordingly. Anaphylactic will get you to Heaven sooner than anticipated.

5. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Jim, Glad everything worked out OK. Like Tec, I also have a more severe reaction to yellow jackets, but not to your extent. Glad you're OK.

Walt

6. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I got stung by a yellow jacket last week. There was no reaction, but damn, it did burn for about 10 minutes. I wouldn't want a bunch of them to sting me. I found their nest and poured some gasoline down it. They are aggressive beings.

I have wasp nests two feet over my head on some of my outbuildings and we are never stung. The wasps are a big deterrent to the web worms that like my pecan trees. In fact, without using any poison on the web worms the wasps keep them in a static population.

I fail to see any benefit from the yellow jackets, although I bet they have a place in nature. I don't kill them if they aren't a sting threat to us.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

For some reason a honey bee sting at times will stay with me longer(a day or two) than a wasp sting? Is the venom much different between honey bees and wasp? The wasp sting will make a welp, but goes away within 30 min.? I've never had poison ivy either.:thumbsup: Jack

8. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Glad you are ok Jim

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

"Ethics = What you do when no one is looking!" The Reverend J.C. Watts, all American quarterback at Oklahoma University, and former member of the US House of Representatives, said "Your character in measured by what you do when no one is looking." J.C. Watts is a fine man, and I agree that your character, the part that you carry with you, is based on what you do when no one is looking. It's the portrait of you as seen by you. Nice tag line Perry.

11. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

I did not used to be allergic to wasps, but developed the allergy 5 years or so ago. After 2 trips to the ER, the last one made less severe by an epi-pen, I was told I could take allergy shots for them. So, I take the booster shots once per month for wasps and hornets. I still have an epi-pen around, but I have had no reaction after being stung by wasps since I started the shots. It takes a while to build up the resistance, but now it is just two shots, once per month.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

jim, just catching up here on the forum, wow, that is scary stuff and glad you are alright. what is still amazing to me, is how many of of us are allergic to other stinging insects but not honey bees. does have to do with our chemical make up (immune systerm) and the venom of the insect. as others have said about the benadryl, it goes a long way to reducing the reactions of the histamines being released. i keep the liquid benadryl, a pita to carry around, but easy to swallow, and get in the system immediately, rather than fumbling around opening a child proof capsule, and swallowing it, oh where's my water bottle....:lol:

ps. i do carry two epi-pens as well. i was stung recently by a yellow jacket, while painting in the driveway. through the house i went, orange paint trail behind me, grabbed my kit, benadryl went in first, then waited, epi at the ready, and a phone. like beeracuda said, my shots are also working. i had little reaction to this sting.

13. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

RiverBee, Boiler Jim:

Modern day medical practices are truly miraculous. Can you imagine having to live with the fear of the next sting sending you to the Happy Hunting Ground? When allergist cure you of a serious, life threatening allergy, they are giving you your life back. It's like saying, 'go and live a normal life without being fearful of being stung.'

14. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I was stung twice a few days ago by wasp. The first thing, well maybe the second or third that crossed my mind. First being "OUCH!" second being "you little bas**rd!" was this post! :shock: :lol: All good though. :thumbsup: