Honey bees create wealth....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lburou, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Lburou

Lburou Member

I guess I should invest heavily in honey bees, huh? ;)

Link to article.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

So Bayer is now trying to reserve bee killing for themselves only, eh! They do enough of it, others don't need to.

3. Ray

Ray Member

"Trust me" said the fox, "your hens are safe with me"

4. Lburou

Lburou Member

If insecticide applicators follow the recommendations in the article, it will be a good thing for honey bees and other untargeted pollinators. :)

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I distrust Bayer, but anything that promotes intelligence and protects bees is better than nothing.

6. Ray

Ray Member

I didn't see anything addressing the talc-insecticide dust generated by some/most/all (?) corn planters. The article never mentioned bees harvesting corn pollen either. When the actual hybrid corn is grown, there must be a large buffer zone where no other corn is grown, especially sweet corn.
    Lip service and adult bovine excrement is all I got out of that article.

There needs to be a comprehensive third party study done.
    What about the possibility; that the farmland heavily planted, to 'Bayer' corn, over the last decade, has near zero insect pests left in the those fields?

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

as to the content of the link...
    I hope no one spend much money on this kind of study since anyone with a hand calculator and a reference to agricultural statistic could have conjured up a 'good' number in about 15 seconds.

as to the other issues touched upon...
    Well I myself look on these kinds of issues with my eyes wide open and recognizing that anything with a benefit also comes with a cost. <some of the current product are certainly not benign but they do reduce a lot of pesticides from being sprayed.

We could of course return to the days when products were throughly tested (still didn't keep some bad products out of consumer's hands) but to do so would require money (and hiring people with degrees... who of course are ALL liberal) and this of course would get every conservative in the land howling about how unfair it is to stand in the way of corporations and profits and out of the other side of their mouth damning any and all university type that might have done the work.

8. Gypsi

I suspect the dumbing down effect in the U.S. is related to lead poisoning. Actually lead in gasoline was linked to lower IQ and higher violence in dense population areas. Intelligence and education aren't an assault on 'values' but they are certainly perceived as such, with corporate dollars juicing the pipeline of disinformation and hate tv.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the crass reduction in spending on education certainly has had a large effect. I look around and cannot figure out just exactly why every expert I see presented to the public has an english or foreign accent and just how everyone in some office or position of power here in Texas were never any better than C- students when they attended school with me (and I now kind of regret having tutored some to get them thru what they thought were really really difficult classes).

private enterprise is no better since by and large it is now the sphere of CRONY CAPITALIST who all make 6 figure income and constantly tell each other what a wonderful job they are doing.

10. Gypsi

Texas is pretty much the bottom of the barrel now. Used to be the appalachians, but there seems to be a curve,when you get so far down to the bottom you realize you need education, you need smart kids for future positions, but Texas hasn't hit bottom. Part of our lead poisoning happens at the gun range, they need to outlaw lead bullets and see if the IQ situation improves.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Let's not enter into the firearm debate here. Tec and his liberalism is causing me to bite my tongue till it bleeds now, but he is tactful about it and has not brought any complaints to me....YET. Firearms are a different matter. I may not be able to keep my mouth shut there.

12. Lburou

Lburou Member

It was the headline that caught my attention. Pollinators in general are absolutely essential to the success of agriculture and horticulture in general....The money generated by pollinating crops is shocking to me. :)

13. Gypsi

Iddee, I am not against firearms. I am serious about the lead content of soil and air around our ranges.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Every ounce of lead in the soil was taken from the soil and put back. None has been added. The concentration can be said about many things, not just lead, and most doing more damage than lead.

15. Gypsi

Tec and I live in a very special place. You should visit sometime. It is "unusual". It is the state whose name is most known all over the world, but it is known for bravado, not brains.

16. Gypsi

You do have a point on the concentration of other things. It is a difficult world. My helper and I were talking about what kids do, as far as college, and so on, and the focus here, and in the suburb where he went to school is just the same as it is in many rural areas, hanging out and getting high. Which is why our doctors and engineers come from other countries and other cultures.

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have been from Texarkana to El Paso, to San Antonio, to Houston, and back to Dallas. Texas, or taxes spelled wrong, :eek: :lol: is not new to me.

I was once told that you can create midgets by knocking the poop out of Texans. It has a ring of truth to it. :rolling::rolling::rolling:

18. Gypsi

hahahahaha

I want to know how to knock the poop out of Texans sometimes.

19. Lburou

Lburou Member

I think that is a good idea....Long as you let me choose which ones ;)

20. Ray

Ray Member

It's good to know I am not the only one getting twitchy :lol:, although not for the same reason. I just keep remembering how much better my guts feel when I am not arguing.