Honey Chipotle Coleslaw

Discussion in 'Lunches and Snacks' started by heinleinfan, Oct 1, 2012.

1. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

This is going to sound more complicated than it actually is because I do a lot of from scratch stuff, which I think would change the flavor of this dish considerably if it weren't for all the various spices thrown into each step.

However, I think the recipe could be adapted easily to: "add some honey and chipotle powder to your favorite coleslaw recipe for a little zing". All amounts of pretty much any spice or seasoning can be adjusted to taste.

Italian Dressing Mix
    (I use this to make up Italian dressing, but also use it in various other dishes when I want the flavor of all these spices, so I nearly always have some in the fridge.)
    2tbls oregano
    2tbls salt
    1tbls garlic powder
    1tbls sugar
    1tbls thyme
    1tbls basil
    1tsp parsley
    1tsp black pepper

Mayo
    (Started making my own a couple years ago when I was out and I actually liked it, which was odd because I have always hated store bought mayonnaise. Heh.)
    In a food processor or blender, combine:
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1tsp dried mustard
    2tbls white vinegar

Blend well on high for at least a minute. Drizzle in 2tbls of olive oil while blending. Then, pour in 1c to 2c of vegetable oil, in a slow steady stream while running the processor on high, it should take 3-5 minutes of blending and pouring, so a very slow stream. Keep pouring and blending, pausing to scrape the sides of the bowl and check consistency. Stop at the consistency you prefer, you may not use all the oil. The more oil and longer you blend, the thicker it will come out and the taste will be more mellow.
    Store for up to 2 weeks in a airtight container in the refrigerator. Makes about 1/4 cup more than however much oil you use.

Honey Chipotle Coleslaw
    (I use a food processor, my husband prefers small cabbage bits rather than larger.)
    1 small head of cabbage
    2 medium carrots
    1/2 cup mayo
    1tbls italian seasoning
    3tbls cider vinegar
    1/4 c honey
    1/2 tsp salt
    1tsp chipotle powder

Shred the cabbage to your desired bit size.
    In a food processer, combine all ingredients but the cabbage and process until everything is well combined, making very small bits out of the carrots.
    Toss the processor mix over the veggies and refrigerate for at least an hour. Heat will increase the longer the slaw sits.

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks for posting this! I will most surely try it...